Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Idling then stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Idling then stalling issues

Hello everyone im new to the forum and the jeep world. Currently I have an 89 Bronco, and a 99 Lightning. Well i just picked up an 88 XJ with some issues. I dont really feel like just throwing parts at it therfore I was looking for some advice for what to look into. So the story is when I bought it it had a hard time finding idle on cold starts. Once it warmed up with would hesitate for a few seconds when starting but otherwise run fine. Well I decided to clean out the throttle body the other day with some throttle body cleaner and when I put everything back together now it wont run! It will start just fine idle up high then fall flat on its face and die. If I give it gas it will idle up even higher but still die no matter what you do. If you spray some starting fluid into the intake it will keep it running. Any ideas? I already put a new IAC on it last night. Thanks for any help! And sorry for the novel....
Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try adjusting the tps[ throttle position sensor] If that dont work then replace it. Pull it off and turn the bullet looking thing in it.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the advice. Ill give that a shot tonight. Also would any of the coolant sensors give the same symptoms?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Sorry for the double post. When I got home today i plugged in a scanner and it started right up! I dont know what it was but it works so im good. Now im back to the original issue. I have a really low idle. At times its in the 500's but mostly 600's. I would like to at least raise it a little. Whats the best way? I was able to adjust the TPS to like .92 volts but thats all the room I had. Is the idle screw generally frowned upon? Is it even adjustable? It doesnt die at all or anything so thats not the problem. Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

no ive herd this many times its the defective tps there was a recall for 88-89 models ckerokee on some of them They been known to cause a jeep to suddenly race up and stay there for a couple mins aswell as jump from higher idle to real low like 500-600 suddenly dogg out when i tryed to adjust my old tps i tryed to loosen a bolt and it snapped so now ive got one more bolt theres 2 there froosen in at this age prolly u might have to spray penetrating oil on them let em soak then turn forward and then back wards alil a cupple of times it might free it self up
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Year: 2 88 XJ/1 86 XJ/ 98 Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

THis has Happened to my 88 XJ I replaced both the TPS and IAC and I have no problems with it. Good Luck keep me posted!