Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

idle problem after sitting

Old 02-13-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default idle problem after sitting

ok this guy i know has a 98 xj sitting in his driveway and its been there for like 6 to 8 months. i went over to talk to him about buying it. we jumped it to get it running and it would keep running. idle wouldnt stay up. even let it warm up to running temp it still would just drop out if you let your foot off the gas. he said it never has had that problem. i put nickel under the throttle and it was running perfect. until you give it gas and the nickel falls. maybe some slack in the cable? how would that happen just sitting?
Any help???
Old 02-13-2010, 01:56 PM

anythinggg???
Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Water in the gas maybe, if its been freezing where you live and if the gas tank isn't kept full or near full and its sits, water can condense in the tank and even start to build up. I'm from washington and it isn't much of a problem here, but I learn this the hard way on a trip to Wisconsin a couple of winters ago(got down to -30 a couple times). Try HEET it will get the water out and also prevent it.

Bad gas could be a culprit too, 8 months is a while! Stabil or any gas stabilizer should always be used if its sitting for more than a 6 months

If its not gas, its likely the AIC motor(98's have that right?) or the TPS(?). Clean the throttle body out(don't get any cleaner in the TPS!) and re install.

Also before you run it again, change the oil. Oil will normally accumulate acids and when the motor sits for a while(8 months included) and if oil is sitting on bearings, they will start to weaken. Learned this one when I was an auto machinist. Motor came in from a buick that was in storage for a year, started up fine(customer did use fuel stabilizer), but when he got on the freeway, two of the cam bearings spun and one seized up. Long story short, camshaft broke in two, all the bearings were scored and burnt and he wasn't happy, along with all the bent valves, pushrods, and destroyed lifters. He also parked it with 4-5K since the last oil change. Any vehicle that sits should AT LEAST be started and warmed up to operating temp once a month. If thats all its doing, sitting, changing the oil every year is a good idea(or when ever its brown or black)

A second post an hour and a half later wondering why you haven't gotten a response isn't needed and will keep some people from posting, it just sounds like whining. Most of us have our own jeeps to work on, and powerblock(on the SPIKE channel) is on until about noon, so don't expect any response till its over. Priorities!! Don't mean to flame at all just sayin. Good luck on gettin it goin!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

probally bad/Stuck IAC
Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
Water in the gas maybe, if its been freezing where you live and if the gas tank isn't kept full or near full and its sits, water can condense in the tank and even start to build up. I'm from washington and it isn't much of a problem here, but I learn this the hard way on a trip to Wisconsin a couple of winters ago(got down to -30 a couple times). Try HEET it will get the water out and also prevent it.

Bad gas could be a culprit too, 8 months is a while! Stabil or any gas stabilizer should always be used if its sitting for more than a 6 months

If its not gas, its likely the AIC motor(98's have that right?) or the TPS(?). Clean the throttle body out(don't get any cleaner in the TPS!) and re install.

Also before you run it again, change the oil. Oil will normally accumulate acids and when the motor sits for a while(8 months included) and if oil is sitting on bearings, they will start to weaken. Learned this one when I was an auto machinist. Motor came in from a buick that was in storage for a year, started up fine(customer did use fuel stabilizer), but when he got on the freeway, two of the cam bearings spun and one seized up. Long story short, camshaft broke in two, all the bearings were scored and burnt and he wasn't happy, along with all the bent valves, pushrods, and destroyed lifters. He also parked it with 4-5K since the last oil change. Any vehicle that sits should AT LEAST be started and warmed up to operating temp once a month. If thats all its doing, sitting, changing the oil every year is a good idea(or when ever its brown or black)

A second post an hour and a half later wondering why you haven't gotten a response isn't needed and will keep some people from posting, it just sounds like whining. Most of us have our own jeeps to work on, and powerblock(on the SPIKE channel) is on until about noon, so don't expect any response till its over. Priorities!! Don't mean to flame at all just sayin. Good luck on gettin it goin!

the reason you post a second response with "anything??" is to get the thread back to the top of the thread list. not many people go searching thru the thread list to find something to reply too. and also i was tryin to find something out today to maybe get a part because part shops arent open on sunday.