Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ideas for a safari rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ideas for a safari rack?

been running a home made/custom made safari rack on my XJ for 8 or 9 months now, and have had quite a few guys ask me about it. My boss has actually voiced an interest in having me build them to sell through work, so I'm curious: what features do you guys look for in safari / cargo racks? what sort of goodies do you bolt on? preffered mounting technique? materials? features?

my existing rack is as follows:
- galvanized tubes, and steel stringers. 3/4" main hoop tubes will accept most brands of add-on clamps, or light mounts.
- 78"*48* overall dimensions, with 3" risers between the upper, and lower hoops.
- mounts to the OE rack mount holes, and has held that way without problems. ( I DID fit new wellnuts when I first put it on though)
- max weight I've had up there is maybe 400-450 lbs..rack is fine, and I can walk across it without issues.
- currently has mounts for spare tire, 60"high lift, axe, shovel, and a removeable toolbox, with a big jimmy bar, and pick to go on still. Bolt ons use wheel lug sized fasteners, so the tire iron handles any/all lockdown requirements. no rattles, and I've got hairpin lock clips ensuring that even if the bolts do loosen, they cant come right off.

a couple of pics, to give you some idea what I've got...and any constructive input appreciated. again, these ARENT for sale...YET, but if I can get feedback, and maybe an idea of how much interest there would be, they might be soon!
Attached Images    
Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Dude, that is awesome!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

thats w verry nice looking rack i think you got every thing covered
Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

that thing looks like you bought it. Nice!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

looks great i cant think of anything other than a jerry can holder and light tabs, for light tabs i would put 4 in the front and 2 in the back and prolly try for two on each side. i really like to see where im goin if you couldnt tell lol. but thats just my pref im not sure how many others would like that. but i would totally buy one
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
looks great i cant think of anything other than a jerry can holder and light tabs,
thanks, and thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm not a fan of topside lights myself ( too many low trees locally) but 'work' stocks PIAA goodies, including the tube clamps that would allow someone to add on whatever lights they want.

re: Jerry cans - what size & shape does everyone run? ....the old GI style are slowly being phased out here, as they're not impact proof/leak proof on-road. ( illegal to have the on the back af a rig here, for example) 2 gal, 5 gal plastic... this is where the 'custom' part comes into play. hmm....maybe I'll have to work up a good order form with a few options for can holders, and potential customers could select from common styles & sizes?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

Originally Posted by ulendo
thanks, and thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm not a fan of topside lights myself ( too many low trees locally) but 'work' stocks PIAA goodies, including the tube clamps that would allow someone to add on whatever lights they want.

re: Jerry cans - what size & shape does everyone run? ....the old GI style are slowly being phased out here, as they're not impact proof/leak proof on-road. ( illegal to have the on the back af a rig here, for example) 2 gal, 5 gal plastic... this is where the 'custom' part comes into play. hmm....maybe I'll have to work up a good order form with a few options for can holders, and potential customers could select from common styles & sizes?
def do options on the orders that would totally boost business i would say the 2 gal jerry cans just cause i kno i wouldnt want a 5 gallon sittin that high up but i mean i can grab one of the jerry can holders from work, i kno some where they have to sell dot approved jerry cans, well couldnt find a link but im sure they are out there. couldnt find a link on the smaller ones either but i kno i seen em before
Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

whats it gonna cost to sell these? or have you looked into that yet? i know for 250 you can get a roofrack but yours look strong and clean.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 76ANTHONY
i know for 250 you can get a roofrack but yours look strong and clean.
lol - more than $250, less than an ARB rack...and yes, they're WAY stronger than any standard 'roof rack'. I've had 400-450 lbs in mine, without an issue, and regularly walk around on it while loading. ( summer months, I'm up on the local forestry roads with my kids EVERY weekend, so its been 'field tested'pretty thoroughly)

my ballpark gues would be +/- $900 canadian, but I'm still looking into some things like powdercoating, and being able to provide them with all the goodies already fitted. ( shovel & axe require some work to use my style mounts, for example)
Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

dang it, move to california, the shippings gonna kill someone like me....
Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Year: 1996
Default on a related note...

for those of you who already have a roof rack with regards to lights - how do you run the wires for them - through the top of the door and into the interior trim? i've always wondered - the pictures you see in catalogs never show any acceptable level of detail...

ulendo, that's a really smart looking rack. it never ceases to amaze me what people can do for themselves. who needs a catalog when you have the raw materials and a heapin' helpin' of mad skill!?!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
for those of you who already have a roof rack with regards to lights - how do you run the wires for them
personally, I've never liked any of the installs that run the wires through the door. My personal setups run the wires under the roof rack track, then through a grommeted hole as close to the front of the vehicle as I can get. once inside, I work from the top edge of the windshield over to the drivers A pillar, then down under the dash.

alternate method might be to come up the back of a cherokee, and install a water-proof trailer plug through the roof , just above the hatch somewhere. ( thinking just above the OE grommet that wires the hatch..)this would have the added advantage of being able to remove the rack any tiem you want to.

if you're really worried about being water tight, silicone gasket maker would be your best friend
Old 01-29-2009, 11:48 AM

Year: 1990 laredo

wishing I had a couple hundred extra bucks but I dont have it. Theres a nice looking rack on craigslist chicago if anyone is in the market, looks like a good one.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/pts/1011491840.html
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I love the look of that rack but I like the mounts in the rain gutter other than that it's great....and tie down tabs are nice as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by cherokee4meplz
Theres a nice looking rack on craigslist chicago if anyone is in the market,
thanks for the advertising idea - theres now a 30" * 48" pre built that'll bolt to stock roof rack cross bars on the wall at work, ready to go. Should be good lengthways on a small to mid sized SUV, or sideways across the roof of a small truck, or open top rig

showed the boss the responses from on here, and he's is all over this

Quick Reply: ideas for a safari rack?