Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I searched and nodda.PLEASE HELP! Its driving me crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I searched and nodda.PLEASE HELP! Its driving me crazy.

I have a knock in the front I can feel in my feet. First off let me start by saying that these are all new- hubs,shocks,coils,discos motor mounts and alignment. I pushed and pulled everything I could find and had my wife turn the wheel side to side while I watched and saw no movement in anything. When I did the hubs a week ago I also pulled the axles and u-joints felt tight. It knocks when I stop,go,turn,hit bumps or backup. You can hear a noise when in the cab turning the wheel only to the left. Don't do it to the right. You cant hear it when out of the Jeep. Its a 96 XJ Country with 4.0 auto and command trac. What can this be?The alignment shop said everything is tight.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Pioneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hmmm. The only other things you haven't mentioned are ball joints, u-joints, or bushings, like the upper and or lower control arms? One way to check your ball joints is to have the front end elevated. Then put a 2X4 (or something) in the path of the wheel and use as a lever up and down to see if there is any play. I had a bad ball joint on the passenger side, and thats how I found it. U-joint on that side was trashed too, but it made more of a grinding sound consistent with speed.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by skud007
Hmmm. The only other things you haven't mentioned are ball joints, u-joints, or bushings, like the upper and or lower control arms? One way to check your ball joints is to have the front end elevated. Then put a 2X4 (or something) in the path of the wheel and use as a lever up and down to see if there is any play. I had a bad ball joint on the passenger side, and thats how I found it. U-joint on that side was trashed too, but it made more of a grinding sound consistent with speed.
The alignment shop said they are tight. And Ichecked them too. The control arms have no play when I jack it up or leave it on the ground and pull in every direction.I also replaced the hubs a week ago and pulled the axles and the joints felt tight. What am I missing? The frame mounted swaybar bushings look like they've seen better days. Could that be it? Theres no play in them though.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

Track bar mount on my 91 limited did everything you described. Look at it while someone turns the wheel to the left and right for you, when it pops you should see it move a little, Mine was only moving 1-2 mm and it was popping bad.

I tightened up the bolts to it ( the nuts for the bolts are under the airbox) and the popping went away. I layed a small inch long bead across the top of the bracket also to keep it from coming loose again.

Hope it helps,
Matt
Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Year: 2001

When I had a similar issue, it ended up being the transfer case cross member was a little loose. tightened it back up and knocking all gone.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Year: 1990

i would first double check every thing with a bushing or ball socket one more time. any movement in a ball socket or bushings gonna give you a popping noise. if i had to bet though i would say the track bar. i hope i helped and good luck
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I had something similar and it ended up being the inner wheel well. It was a little loose and flopping around. Also, my rusty floor was falling off and slapping up and down which was half the problem. Since then, my floor fell out and I trimmed my fenders and removed the inner wheel well, so no more knocking on the floor boards
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L I6

sounds like either a control arm bushing or a track bar mount on one end or the other. my axle end track bar mount got rounded out bigger because it was loose and then started popping really bad when i would turn. i would check both of those.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96Cherokee113
I had something similar and it ended up being the inner wheel well. It was a little loose and flopping around. Also, my rusty floor was falling off and slapping up and down which was half the problem. Since then, my floor fell out and I trimmed my fenders and removed the inner wheel well, so no more knocking on the floor boards
i removed the inner well a long time ago so its not that and my floor is already gone too. Fenders are trimed also.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dyegunswin
sounds like either a control arm bushing or a track bar mount on one end or the other. my axle end track bar mount got rounded out bigger because it was loose and then started popping really bad when i would turn. i would check both of those.
Did it only do it when you turned? Mine does it when turning ,stopping,going,hitting bumps and backing up.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Year: 89

I had this same thiing, had a shock loose lol
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Troy,
Have your wife turn the wheel rapidly while you put your finger tips on the 3 bolts directly below the drivers side motor mount bracket on the framerail.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Troy,
Have your wife turn the wheel rapidly while you put your finger tips on the 3 bolts directly below the drivers side motor mount bracket on the framerail.
The motor mounts are brand new. But I'll try it. I'll try anything at this point.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not the motor mounts, the frame rail directly below the motor mount bracket.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Not the motor mounts, the frame rail directly below the motor mount bracket.
What am I looking for or feeling for there?Im supposed to go on an offroad trip the first weekend in april and would like to get this fixed beforhand.

Last edited by troy fritz; 03-24-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: I searched and nodda.PLEASE HELP! Its driving me crazy.