Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I need serious help! 96 xj electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6cyl 4.0L High Output
Default I need serious help! 96 xj electrical problems

So I'm installing my new radio and switching the wires when all of a sudden my overhead lights go off. The car is off but the door was open. I look down at my voltage meter and it's on zero which is weird because a few seconds ago it was at 12v like normal. So I finish wiring it and I go to crank it up because I'm curious sense the voltage says zero. And it cranks up like a champ! Super weird. I check the fuse box under the good and all is good there, wires are fine, headlights work along w the blinkers and breaks. The I dash lights work but my cb and fm radio don't work and my volt meter reads zero... My over head lights won't turn on at all even when I manually turn them on and I'm very confused! If someone could help I would my very appreciative. Thank you
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

Check the fuse panel under the driver's side kicker (where the door buzzer is).
Maybe it popped a fuse during the install with battery connected, or fuse just randomly crapped out.
Check fuses #9 and 17 particularly with a fuse tester.
The above is for if your fuse panel is on the driver's side inside.
96s are a crossover year so that's where mine is but some of the newer 96/97 had their panel on the right side behind a panel.
I fyours is on the right then here's a 97+ fuse diagram: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...tification.htm

Last edited by Solomon7; 06-19-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Solomon7
Check the fuse panel under the driver's side kicker (where the door buzzer is).
Maybe it popped a fuse during the install with battery connected, or fuse just randomly crapped out.
Check fuses #9 and 17 particularly with a fuse tester.
Alright I'll check it out thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

davidduffee I definitely understand where you are coming from with the wiring gremlins. I have been having some crazy ones of my own. When using the driverside power lock switch, my horn sounds off and the rear wiper turns on. Using the passenger side power lock switch, there is a buzzing sound at the switch and the rear wiper turns on. When I plug the cigar lighter in the jack a relay in my kick panel buzzes and the rear wiper turns on.
I have to do the same thing tracking all of those turds down. I too am starting at the kick panel fuse panel just like what Solomon7 suggested.
I started a thread yesterday about this: wiring gremlins just letting you know just in case we can come across something together. Im not trying to take over anyones thread just trying to join forces in this battle.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Survive2022
davidduffee I definitely understand where you are coming from with the wiring gremlins. I have been having some crazy ones of my own. When using the driverside power lock switch, my horn sounds off and the rear wiper turns on. Using the passenger side power lock switch, there is a buzzing sound at the switch and the rear wiper turns on. When I plug the cigar lighter in the jack a relay in my kick panel buzzes and the rear wiper turns on.
I have to do the same thing tracking all of those turds down. I too am starting at the kick panel fuse panel just like what Solomon7 suggested.
I started a thread yesterday about this: wiring gremlins just letting you know just in case we can come across something together. Im not trying to take over anyones thread just trying to join forces in this battle.
No man I hear ya. I got all I needed out of this thread but by all means let's help you figure put your problem! Obviously all your locks are connected to your back wiper so why don't you try and find the wiper wire and move it to another line or something?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 AM

As soon as I can make time, I am gonna check out the kick panel and trace that rear wiper. Hopefully I can get it done before the weekend is over. I do appreciate the help.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 PM

Did you ever get it fixed?