Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

i need help with headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default i need help with headlights

i can ride about 5 miles and my headlights be fine but then they will start messing up. they will cut off and on radomly. the switch seems sorta warm. i heard it could b a relay but where and iv read tht it could jus be my headlights goin out. the switch was replace around 3 months ago. someone help please
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default suggestions

You said the switch feels hot? What kind of switch did you replace with? If it was on the cheaper side or used it could have failed or been faulty out of the box. Also, it does kinda sound like a loose/bad ground or relay. Not sure where the relay is though, they changed that around alot from year to year I think. Some you can find by removing the glove box tray, I think some have a relay kinda in the steering column by the hi/lo beam multiswitch. Try wiggling some of the wires (grounds if you can find em) with the lights switched on and see if you can find one that's loose or going bad. Or if you have a multimeter start checking them systematically. Do all the other functions on the headlight switch work, like the dome light etc?

Sorry for the randomness, but those are some of the things I'd check that are pretty easy and inexpensive to start with.

Those headlight switches are weird. In my 96 if you shut the ignition off with the lights on, you have to put the key back in and turn to on before you can get the headlights to go off. It's not a delay either, I've waited to see! Pretty sure it's factory original but afraid to touch it since everything else works fine... Good luck!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Potatowalker
Those headlight switches are weird. In my 96 if you shut the ignition off with the lights on, you have to put the key back in and turn to on before you can get the headlights to go off. It's not a delay either, I've waited to see! Pretty sure it's factory original but afraid to touch it since everything else works fine... Good luck!
I have a 2000 and it does the same exact thing. I think it may be like that from the factory. It never really bothered me too much to look into it more.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJSurfcaster

I have a 2000 and it does the same exact thing. I think it may be like that from the factory. It never really bothered me too much to look into it more.
My 98, does that but its factory there called courtesy lights, so the owner can see while walking up the drive way
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Originally Posted by braves7pro
i can ride about 5 miles and my headlights be fine but then they will start messing up. they will cut off and on radomly. the switch seems sorta warm. i heard it could b a relay but where and iv read tht it could jus be my headlights goin out. the switch was replace around 3 months ago. someone help please
had this exact problem on mine. Trust me it's not the relay.

Do you have upgraded h4 conversion headlights on your jeep?

The problem lies in the fact that Jeeps have crappy stock headlight wiring, and no headlight relay to prevent the load from going to the switch.

I fixed my issue by replacing the front harness with one from www.eautoworks.com. Jason (the rep) is a great guy to work with. Best upgrade to date - your problem will be solved and your lights will be noticeably brighter while driving. The kit includes a pre-wired harness with larger wires, and a relay for both the driving and high-beams. 100% plug and play and installs in (i kid you not) less than 10 minutes including removing the headlights and putting them back in.
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-ea...com-189849.htm
(PS - use code "JeepForum" for 30% or so off)
Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Dre
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L (242*CID) I6 MPI "Power Tech"

Originally Posted by dukie564

had this exact problem on mine. Trust me it's not the relay.

Do you have upgraded h4 conversion headlights on your jeep?

The problem lies in the fact that Jeeps have crappy stock headlight wiring, and no headlight relay to prevent the load from going to the switch.

I fixed my issue by replacing the front harness with one from www.eautoworks.com. Jason (the rep) is a great guy to work with. Best upgrade to date - your problem will be solved and your lights will be noticeably brighter while driving. The kit includes a pre-wired harness with larger wires, and a relay for both the driving and high-beams. 100% plug and play and installs in (i kid you not) less than 10 minutes including removing the headlights and putting them back in.
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-ea...com-189849.htm
(PS - use code "JeepForum" for 30% or so off)
I agree with this post. Idk the products, but I'm good at wiring. If you have after market light, either make or buy a harness that uses a separate power source and relay. There is a control module in some jeep that senses the load. Had issues with LED bulbs. You probably need to supply the lights with a direct power source that uses a relay and factory harness to turn them on. Very simply to make or buy. Check the ground and also the connector for the beams and all lights. Might need to compress the clips for a better connection on the prongs. But use the quoted texted above by dukie. Hit me up if you have questions. I think I still have the exterior light diagrams on my Mac.

Posted by: Dre

Last edited by Dre; 05-05-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Member

i get wat yall r saying but i do not have aftermarket lights. could this still b the problem. thy r stock headlights.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

i would check the main harness plug for the head light system follow the wires back i think is near the air filter box
Old 05-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Member

i see where the wires run but where would the plug be on tht. and i have to wires tht are from the low beams tht were hook up to fog lights wit a relay tht are tape up under there. but thy dnt touch anything so tht wouldnt cause it right.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

ive searched and cannot find a answer were the plug if there is one maybe i would follow the harenss and check all plugs/connections on it for melted or corroded loose connections
Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

do you see a headlight relay in the pdc box
Old 05-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

k i found the plug and it is fine. i did take my headlights out and thy look sorta corroded so i clean them. the drivers headligt plug is sorta melted but not terrible. tht could b the problem. the passenger side one looks good. i took the drivers headlight out and left my headlights on and thy didnt cut off none. tht harness from eautoworks would it work with my stock headlights and does it come with the plugs for my headlight and blinkers.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

k i found the plug and it is fine. i did take my headlights out and thy look sorta corroded so i clean them. the drivers headligt plug is sorta melted but not terrible. tht could b the problem. the passenger side one looks good. i took the drivers headlight out and left my headlights on and thy didnt cut off none. tht harness from eautoworks would it work with my stock headlights and does it come with the plugs for my headlight and blinkers.
Your new switch is probably shot again.

As stated the original wiring is straight through the switch, the corrosion you spoke of would raise the load resistance, or for technical terms the ohm rating of the circuit, in terms causing the system to draw too much Power, again which is running through that switch, causing it to overload, and prematurely burning out. The melted plug is also a sign of this as with the more resistance/ohms a circuit has the more heat it creates, the heat in the end of it all is usually what wrecks stuff.

Look into the hd harness, a new switch, and possibly lights depending on age and corrosion level.

The ultimate bad ending of this situation is a fire.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

i order the harness and new lights with the h4 bulbs. so u think i need a new switch too
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

i order the harness and new lights with the h4 bulbs. so u think i need a new switch too
Its possible, I'd start by tracking down the source of the high resistance, don't forget to check the grounds for the lights also, the hd harness is always a safe upgrade for any of us, on a side note h4 bulbs need new casings as the stock lights are sealed beams, look into autopal e-code casings on eBay.

Just remember corrosion is one of the biggest causes on high resistance in electrical. Doesnt matter if it's on the ground or hot aide of the circuit, it harms it all the same!

Quick Reply: i need help with headlights