Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I need help

I just bought a 97 jeep cherokee and canot get it to start,it cranks but wont start and it has new fuel pump battery,terminals,and crank sensor,what should i do thanks
Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

The first thing I would do is make sure your spark plugs and cap and rotor are in order. Dirt can make its way into the cap and mess up the contacts. Check the spark plugs for a gap and/or a spark. Also check to see that the engine is getting fuel. Check your injectors to see that they are working well. Also, check your fuel filter. As minor as it may seem, its worth the time and money to change it.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Fuel, Spark, Air. Those are necessary for a running engine. Here are the quick and dirty tests to narrow down the problem

Fuel: Do you hear the pump running? Is there fuel pressure? Do you smell gas when you crank it but it won't start?

Spark: Remove one of the spark plugs. With it connected to the distributor, ground the plug and crank again. Do you see spark?

Air: Is the jeep currently sitting in a lake?
Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Was it a no start before the battery, terminals, crank sensor and fuel pump were replaced?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willys55
Was it a no start before the battery, terminals, crank sensor and fuel pump were replaced?
Yes didnt start, and i just checked the spark plugs and there all good could it be my computer? And ill check everything else in a seconed but my fuel pump is turning on
Old 05-20-2017, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Zachari
Yes didnt start, and i just checked the spark plugs and there all good could it be my computer? And ill check everything else in a seconed but my fuel pump is turning on
Try turning the key from OFF to RUN a couple times and see if it starts.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

pick up a cheap spark tester and fuel gauge to verify fuel pressure and ignition spark....also with the use of a "noid" light or test light you can verify that the injectors are indeed firing...could be a loss of power supply at the injectors, bad ground on the coil, there are so many reasons.

you have spark at the plugs and good fuel pressure but if the injectors dont open - no start.

Did you notice if the security light was blinking when the key was in the "on position"?