Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I Just Bought an XJ and I have some problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I Just Bought an XJ and I have some problems

Yesterday I bought an 1993 xj, 5speed, 3.5in lift, 4x4, 4.0 with 153k
First off when I bought it he told me that it had a little shimmy and only been doing it lately at 45 when you hit a pot hole. (Me and my buddy test drove it for about 25 mins and we couldn’t get it to do it so we where like it must not be to bad. so I drive it around all day and I got it about 3-4 time it was DW not some little shimmy. It was kind of really bad but not as bad when it used to happed to my buddies xj when he had his 3in lift (now he’s got an 5.5 R.E Drop kit) The way we fixed it on his 3in was he got some adj lower arms, I still have the stock ones on. I have a trac bar drop kit on it and I made sure that all the bolts where tight on it. Before I go pick up some arms because that my next idea does anyone have any suggestions for me and what to.

Next, (my bigger problem) I went to get the jeep smoged today and it failed
I live in California and if you live here you know how hard they are, but I do know how strong the 4.0 is. So me and one of my friends spent about 3 hours reading the full service manual and checking ever thing out. The one thing we found was that the guy told me that he him self just replaced the cat in the jeep and we were thing maybe he put in a 49 state legal on and that’s why it failed. I got the numbers on it. They are ca/ce 99000 Magnaflow. I looked online the best I could and what I found is that the 99000 series is not California legal. Idk if this is my only problem for the emissions. This is my test please tell me what the number mean and your ideas.

Thanks

Old 12-24-2009, 02:24 AM

I got the jeep to pass smog with flying colors and it didn’t cost me a cent. The guy that bought if from paid for it. Cost 700 for a new cat and o2 sensor to be installed.

Still working on the death wobble. Does any one have an opinion on a Trac Bar relocation bracket? I have one on the jeep. I did some measuring 2day and it looks like the axel is shifted to the left about 3/4 of an inch. I think if I take it out and put the trac bar back in the stock hole it will be center again.

Also the jeep is toed in about a 1in. What I have found is that it should be about 1/8in im going to do that and rotate the tires tomorrow. They are warring in the inside on the front tires.

I checked all the bolts and are tight.

If that doesn’t fix it im going to install the arms. I don’t think the casters really off because I checked them to my friends jeep that was just aliened I noticed I do have shims behind the LCA there .345 thick. Does any one know if these are stock? 2 of my buddies have them and 2 others don’t have them and I can’t find anything about them online.

Idk if I should remove them before installing my new LCA or not. I’m going to make them 16.25 long.

Please your opinions would help me a lot!

Thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Still working on the death wobble. Does any one have an opinion on a Trac Bar relocation bracket? I have one on the jeep. I did some measuring 2day and it looks like the axel is shifted to the left about 3/4 of an inch. I think if I take it out and put the trac bar back in the stock hole it will be center again.
TB brackets are a bad compromise. Get rid of it asap. The Iron Rock double sheer kit is very stout and would be a much better option. That will certainly help. Did I mention to get the double sheer conversion? That's a HINT.
Also the jeep is toed in about a 1in. What I have found is that it should be about 1/8in im going to do that and rotate the tires tomorrow. They are warring in the inside on the front tires.
Toe in will wear outside edged not inside. Set it correctly that will certainly help many of your issues.

I checked all the bolts and are tight.
You can tighten them all you want, if parts are worn it won't matter. Did I mention you should ditch the TB relocation bracket?

If that doesn’t fix it im going to install the arms. I don’t think the casters really off because I checked them to my friends jeep that was just aliened I noticed I do have shims behind the LCA there .345 thick. Does any one know if these are stock? 2 of my buddies have them and 2 others don’t have them and I can’t find anything about them online.
Shims are used to restore caster without putting adjustable LCA's. Pull the shims, save them and put the new LCA's on .There is a chart here

Idk if I should remove them before installing my new LCA or not. I’m going to make them 16.25 long.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:50 AM

I meant on the outside of the tires they are wearing, my bad. I got the LCA in today, going to install them Saturday.

Last edited by Red-XJ; 12-25-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Red-XJ
I meant on the outside of the tires they are wearing, my bad. I got the LCA in today, going to install them Saturday.
Ok, set the toe to 1/8" and see what happens. FWIW I have mine set to that and still wore the outside, guess I corner too hard. ymmv