Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I hope the main bearings are good...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I hope the main bearings are good...

So I keep getting a weird rattle sound like exhuast tapping on someonething but it is coming from the front of the Jeep. So the other night I left the car running and I noticed the sound only appears when there is a slight draw on the motor from an accessory. So I turned the a/c on and I looked under the hood. As the compressor would kick on the belt would make that horrifying slipping sound and then that thumping would start. Compressor kicks off and it goes away. This happen in drive with my foot on the brake, turning the steering wheel...not just the a/c but that was a guarentee way to get a draw while Im under the hood. Anyway, I noticed the harmonic balancer was moving in an out with the turning on and off of the compressor (this explains the reason why the belt has been replaced twice in 5k miles). So I ordered a new one....no biggie. BUT, when I lay under the car to listen for that thumping, it sounds like it is coming from the oil pan right behind the harminic balancer. Could the shifting of the harmonic balancer be causing the thumping or is a main bearing shot now? The sound does not happen under throttle and there are no other weird signs of something being wrong.

I just hope the harminic balancer fixes this. Does anyone think it could potentially be something else?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If you wait long enough the dampener will fall off all by itself.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
If you wait long enough the dampener will fall off all by itself.

Well I finally noticed on Wed night and ordered the new one Thursday morning via priority mail. Hopefully I get it before any more damage is done.