Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

i have a 1996 jeep 4.0 i have spark but will not start changed timing chain and now o

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default i have a 1996 jeep 4.0 i have spark but will not start changed timing chain and now o

jeep would cranks wont start after changing timing chain have spark rotor is off by one spot to number one plug how do i fix it
Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

First, make sure you're at Top Dead Center...

With #1 spark plug removed, turn the engine over clockwise using the 3/4″ front crankshaft bolt.

You will see the degree marks on your front cover and you will see the timing mark on the balancer. Mark them with chalk or white-out.

While turning the engine over, put your finger/thumb over #1 spark plug hole. As the mark on the balancer approaches the marks on the front cover, if you are coming up on #1 TDC, pressure in the cylinder will push on your finger. If there’s no pressure, you’re at #6 TDC and need to crank the engine over until you see the marks coming together and you get pressure. Set the mark on the balancer to the 0 mark on the front cover.

After you've done that, pull your distributor and using a flat blade screwdriver, turn the oil pump gear drive shaft until the slot is slightly past the 11 o’clock position. The oil pump gear drive shaft is accessible through the distributor mounting bore in the engine block.

-Visually align the locating tab area of the distributor housing with the holddown clamp bolt hole.

-Turn the rotor to the 4 o’clock position

-Lower the distributor into the engine block until it seats. The rotor should now be very close to the 5 o’clock position

All of these were excerpts take from http://cruiser54.com/?p=65 and http://cruiser54.com/?p=68

Visit those pages for more helpful info. Most of the information there pertains to Renix-era Jeeps, but there are some articles that are helpful to all model years. The FULL distributor article pertains only to renix-style distributors, but the part that I posted above will help you ensure you have the distributor in time with the cam gear.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Basslicks
First, make sure you're at Top Dead Center...

With #1 spark plug removed, turn the engine over clockwise using the 3/4″ front crankshaft bolt.

You will see the degree marks on your front cover and you will see the timing mark on the balancer. Mark them with chalk or white-out.

While turning the engine over, put your finger/thumb over #1 spark plug hole. As the mark on the balancer approaches the marks on the front cover, if you are coming up on #1 TDC, pressure in the cylinder will push on your finger. If there’s no pressure, you’re at #6 TDC and need to crank the engine over until you see the marks coming together and you get pressure. Set the mark on the balancer to the 0 mark on the front cover.

After you've done that, pull your distributor and using a flat blade screwdriver, turn the oil pump gear drive shaft until the slot is slightly past the 11 o’clock position. The oil pump gear drive shaft is accessible through the distributor mounting bore in the engine block.

-Visually align the locating tab area of the distributor housing with the holddown clamp bolt hole.

-Turn the rotor to the 4 o’clock position

-Lower the distributor into the engine block until it seats. The rotor should now be very close to the 5 o’clock position

All of these were excerpts take from http://cruiser54.com/?p=65 and http://cruiser54.com/?p=68

Visit those pages for more helpful info. Most of the information there pertains to Renix-era Jeeps, but there are some articles that are helpful to all model years. The FULL distributor article pertains only to renix-style distributors, but the part that I posted above will help you ensure you have the distributor in time with the cam gear.
I have changed hundreds of timing chains and I really don't like how they set these up, it is too easy to get the chain it's self off by one tooth. When I changed mine I was really missing the positive gear drives of the old flatheads. lol
Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
I have changed hundreds of timing chains and I really don't like how they set these up, it is too easy to get the chain it's self off by one tooth. When I changed mine I was really missing the positive gear drives of the old flatheads. lol
lol... ain't NOTHIN' compared to doing the timing belt on a Chrysler 3.5 liter.... I can't tell you how many times I pulled the stupid belt out, and had to reset the tensioner to get it right.