Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

i got the old gm 2.8l v6 hard start problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default i got the old gm 2.8l v6 hard start problem

so i just bought it for 1400 brand new all undercarriage in front brand new tires and hell the rear hatch hinges still work lol but i the previous owner says that he rebuilt the carb i am having a very hard time starting and warming this thing up like 5 minutes just to start not including the warm up time of bought 15 20 minutes what can i check or do ? fuel filter wrong jets in carb need new carb or what? like this jeep has no power at all like i have to floor it to go from 40 to 45. what could be possible problems is a 2 door all leather with no carpet all plastic covering on floor thanks for all answer ahead of time
Old 04-25-2010, 12:53 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

the carbs on these lil monsters are not the easiest to rebuild. Personally i dont trust anyone to rebuild my carburetors but myself. My suggestion to you would be to buy the rebuild kit for like 30 bucks and rebuild the carb carefully following all specifications. It should take about a night if you are mechanically inclined. Next i would check all vacuum lines and then check them all again. A vacuum leak can cause the problems you are describing. Also check all the bolts on your intake manifold and make sure they are tight.

I would also check all tune up parts such as plugs wires cap ect and put a timing light on the motor just to make sure everything is in spec. Lemme know what you find

-Mike
Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 AM

ok thanks will check tomorrow evening after church
Old 04-25-2010, 01:18 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would just chuck the GM 2.8L and install a 4.0L... lol. I'm just kidding.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:33 AM

Year: 1995
Default carb kit

+1 on the carb rebuild use a clean bench and lay the parts out as you take it apart save the gaskets so you know wich ones to use when putting it back together get a large can of carb cleaner and a bucket with a lid to soak the parts overnite be sure and remove all rubber and jets but leave the butterflys and shaft in the housing, After you soaked it good blast it good with the water hose and use air pressure to blow all the ports out good. But before you do anything check for excessive slop in the throttle shaft side to side is ok but up and down not good makes for a bad vacuum leak. I always resurface the base of the carb with a piece of 180 grit sandpaper glued to a flat surface and keeping it nice and flat slowly sand it till it shines evenly all across you will see the low spots be careful not to gouge it or sand too much off the edges usually takes just a little. Match the parts out of the kit to the ones you pulled out of the carb and carefully put it back together. If you have a EGR get a gasket for it also and take it off and clean it using the carb cleaner just be careful not to get the upper seal or diaphram in the carb cleaner actually I cant remember if you said you checked it but that could be your problem also so check it first pull it off and see if it leaks either out the shaft or the valve itself just blow or suck on the hole if it leaks you will know if you cant clean it to seal get a new one. Once you know all the vacuum lines are good put a vacuum guage on it while it is running to tell you the condition of the engine and adjust the idle screws stat out at 1 1/2 turns from lightly seated and at an idle turn them out to the highest vacuum you can achieve then turn the engine off and check them they should not be more than half a turn between them. count the turns in then back out. GL
Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

nah +1 on the I6 swap. GM motor in a JEEP?? bad enough i have to deal with GM keys, kmultifunction switch, dome lights, ignition tumbler and switch, etc. But a GM engine? epic fail. But if you need the car and dont got the cash then you dont got a choice but to rebuild the carb ya know?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 PM

thank you for all help and answers will be hitting the shop hard monday to test all of this and check it all before deciding weather to rebuild carb or not am interested in a 4.o swap but i wanna do a motor trans and frong axle all at once so its 4wd plans for future i found a complete donor jeep with 78,000 miles its like a 94 but still cranks and runs great they flipped it and just want to get rid of it for 800 dollars think thats a good deal for me to put all in mine?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Year: 1988

that 2.8 is crap. you need to get rid of it. get yourself a chevy 4.3. it will match up and everything. its a great motor. i dont think the firewall is right for a 4.0. make sure you get a 4.3 with the starter on the same side as the 2.8
Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 AM

Year: 1995

If the compression is even and you have oil pressure address any vacuum issues EGR, PCV, brake booster and vacuum lines and check plugs cap rotor. Get it running and then pour some seafoam in the carb a little at a time so not to kill the engine then let it sit for ten or so minutes and pour the rest in the fuel tank. Then start it and take it for a spin if you can and see how good a smoke screen you can make otherwise just run it at medium rpms till it stops smoking. If everything looks ok change the oil and filters give it a tune up, adjust the carb and run it till it pukes or you get everything for the conversion. You only need a little seafoam in the carb and shut it down immediately let it soak into the carbon buildup then blow it out and hopefully the stuff you pour in the tank will clean the inside of the carb.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

4 liter will not fit in there. 4.3 will though.
Those years were shorter from firewall to grill.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0l

i have the 2.8 also in my jeep seams underpowered but its a 2.8 lol
i use to have starting problems but there was something messed up with the choke so now i just have the thing open, and it seams to start fine
The following users liked this post:
Eddies86 (12-18-2019)
Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

You might want to use a digital camera and take pictures of everything, as you dissassemble, step by step, etc. It might help with the rebuild if you are doing this while tired (after work) or spread out over a few days.
It's nice to have a reference point, especially if you haven't done many of these. Perhaps downloading the specs/diagrams off-line would be a good idea also. Maybe some helpful soul will post a link for you...

Good luck, please keep us posted.