Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I can't take it anymore! '99 steering pop (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default I can't take it anymore! '99 steering pop (with video)

It's been doing this for about a year now. I've done my research - could be a bad steering box, U-joint, track bar, tire rod ends, etc etc. Here's what I know:

My passenger U-joint is very loose, to the point that I can turn the front driveshaft side-to-side, and the U-joint will move also.

I just installed a Rusty's adjustable track bar (thinking it would remedy the problem) a month ago. I've noticed that the ball joint moves up and down when I tun the wheel, is that supposed to happen?

Either way, I don't see how that could cause the popping.

Any advice would be very, very much appreciated, thank you.
Here's the video:

never done that before, hope it works.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 PM

Tough to say exactly what it is. I'm thinking track bar bracket on the "frame". The reason I say this is my 89 made the same noise and I changed all kinds of stuff trying to fix it. I ended up cranking down the track bar bracket bolts about a half a turn and it went away. For a while that is. Once I upgraded to a RE HD track bar the noise went away for good. But it could be a number of things. Not much help I know, but it's what was wrong with my xj.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I didn't hear anything strange?!!!!! Have you checked the ball joints in the steering knuckles? Guess if theres no movement there.......front axle u-joints popping?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

If everything checks out, I knew a guy with a similar sound in his ranger he sucked out his power steering fluid and used the lucas power steering treatment and it went away. Maybe your p/s fluid is burnt?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

its the trac bar to frame mount,my 87 did the exact same thing,you need to up grade the bolts,that will fix it
Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Engine: 4.0 IL

Before reading any other posts my immediate reaction was frame track bar mount lol. Boneyard another one if its wallowed, otherwise tighten the bolts around it, Its moving in the video which it shouldn't at all. So tighten the bolts around it, and again if its wallowed JY a new one.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 AM

Thanks a lot guys, that helps a lot.

its the trac bar to frame mount,my 87 did the exact same thing,you need to up grade the bolts,that will fix it
I wondered about that - because I can feel it pop through the floor. What do you mean by upgrade the bolts? Like go to Lowe's and get some beefier ones?

Boneyard another one if its wallowed
How can I tell if the whole thing is jacked? I'll admit that I treat it pretty rough, so something very well could be cracked.

Thanks.

Last edited by Graham Crackers; 08-14-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee

I have a similar noise on a Grand tho, I can feel in the floor and steering wheel very annoying. I cant remember if the Grands bolt in also for the track bar?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Engine: 4.0 IL

Originally Posted by Graham Crackers
How can I tell if the whole thing is jacked? I'll admit that I treat it pretty rough, so something very well could be cracked.
Thanks.
Pull the track bar and look at the mount hole, if its misshapen, get a new one. from a JY...yeah thats new.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:19 AM

Alright, well thanks so much for the help guys. I unbolted the two bolts at the top of the bracket and cleaned them. Then I got a couple washers for the bolts and a lock-washer for the nut. I dropped some Thread Locker on there, and wrenched them back on as tight as I could. I also siphoned out as much power steering fluid as possible, and put new stuff in. Needless to say, it worked!

Thanks again for the advice, I would have wasted a lot of time and money on that. If anyone needs any pictures or anything, lemme know.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Not to hijack the thread here or anything but what does the mount bolts have to do with it. mine does the same thing and the mount is not moving.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Year: 1993

I have issues hoping you guys can help as well. When i am turning weather it be a harsh corner or a slight bend in the road i can feel a nasty pop and hear it. Can feel it through the wheel and in my hands what could this be>?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by tj40
If everything checks out, I knew a guy with a similar sound in his ranger he sucked out his power steering fluid and used the lucas power steering treatment and it went away. Maybe your p/s fluid is burnt?
Really?? Power steering fluid causing a popping noise in the suspension? Really?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:43 PM

i can feel a nasty pop and hear it. Can feel it through the wheel and in my hands what could this be>?
Does it sound like mine did in the video? When the plate shifts side-to-side, the threads of the bolts pop in and out, very slightly. But the pressure is so great, you can feel and hear it throughout the frame. At least that's what was wrong with mine.

I also replaced as much power steering fluid as I could, it was pretty brown. Don't know if that helped or not, but it couldn't hurt.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I agree trac bar to the frame it is moving considerably...and that means that the bolt is probably dry and creaking where it mounts...just my opinion...if nothing else that needs changed and go from there

Quick Reply: I can't take it anymore! '99 steering pop (with video)