Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hummer H3 rear axle to Cherokee swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default Hummer H3 rear axle to Cherokee swap

So.......

Has anyone swapped a Hummer or GM rear axle into their Cherokee?

I think this rear axle swap would be awesome, just wondering if anyone has or thought about doing this.

I own a 1997 Jeep Cherokee and a 2008 Hummer H3. I know that the Hummer rear axle is a GM 8.6 (95% sure). It also comes factory with 4.10 or 4.56 gears (mostly 4.56) and has big ol' disc brakes. Not to mention the optional Eaton E-Locker (Adventure Models only) is a pretty reliable unit. It has 28 spline shafts BUT they are C-Clip... However, the shear size of the axle I think it will be just fine. I think the axle is 65" wide (not 100% sure but its around that).

I just upgraded to 35" tires and 17" wheels from my Hummer. I used a wheel adapter and space for a 6 lug set up. I figured with the added width of the spacers still on the front dana 30 the whole set up will be really close in track width.

I'm buying the axle today and I'm not sure if it has the E-Locker or not, but either way for $500 I can't go wrong. I spent another $60 at Iron Rock Offroad for the mounts and perches. I still need the ZJ Grand Cherokee proportioning valve (for 4 wheel discs) and some brake line adapters. I think the Hummer H3 has 1310 u joints as well, but if I need something special it shouldn't be that much.

I'll be posting a full tech on this and keep ya posted! Wish me luck...
Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Its the GM 8.6 axle with 30 spline axle shafts...
Old 01-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

sounds like a cool mod!!!
and major props for starting a new style. not just putting a d44 or ford 8.8 in there!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 AM

Got the axle last night. Came out of either an 06 or 07 Hummer H3 with approx 10,000 miles. This axle is HEAVY!! But will def. stand up to some serious abuse... Nice, big Disc brakes and 65" wheel surface to wheel surface. Hoping to do the install this weekend, Ill post the results
Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 AM

Sounds like a good mod.........Only downfall is ya dont see many (any) hummers at the JY to get one of them.
Keep us posted on the swap.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

I think the reason why you dont see this mod often is cause of the axle width being way wider then stock. I give props for using a different axle as well. What is the Bolt patter for it? Also how is the aftermarket support for it?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Year: 1996

Keep us updated for sure. Looking forward to seeing how it goes, I have thought about this, but thought the axles would be way too expensive. What are you using as a front axle?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

Originally Posted by tkjeeper53
Got the axle last night. Came out of either an 06 or 07 Hummer H3 with approx 10,000 miles. This axle is HEAVY!! But will def. stand up to some serious abuse... Nice, big Disc brakes and 65" wheel surface to wheel surface. Hoping to do the install this weekend, Ill post the results
What part of illinois?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Way wider? Not really, It comes in at 65", Im running wheel adapters/spacers right now (using my 35" MTRs off my Hummer H3) and the width is a little over 64" so I figured that I can leave the front spacers on and once the rear axle is in the track width will be about the exact same.

I really had to do a lot of research before doing this swap but as you all know, where there is a will, there is a way.

The bolt pattern is 6x5.5 which is the same (I think) as most other 6 lugs and GM 6 lugs.

There is a very small amount of aftermarket support however I think that will change soon once the initial entry price of a used H3 goes down (not many people wheel vehicles that cost 35k). ARB does sell an air locker for the Hummer rear axle and you can get the E-locker from Eaton (which is factory equipment for the Hummer H3 w/ Adventure packages).

You don't find many of these axles in the junk yard however when you can find one is makes for a good swap (in my opinion). To upgrade the Dana 35 or Chrsyler 8.25 to disc brakes and 4.56 gears would cost a lot more than buying one of these Hummer axles. Plus they have a huge ring gear, 30 spline axle shafts, and BIG disc brakes. Not to mention most found have low miles and are in generally GREAT condition (i.e. the one I found)

Im located in Lisle/ Naperville (near Chicago)
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 AM

As for the front axle....

Im considering a few things:

1) I could get a Waggy front Dana 44 (wide track) and then have to swap brackets, steering, etc. Wouldn't be bad if I found one already gearded.

2) I found a few guys through craigslist that have sets of 4.56 gears for the HP dana 30 and are willing to sell them since they already sold their Xj, blah blah blah. However, Ill still need a new carrier.

3) Find a dana 30 from another project with 4.56 gears already installed through the classifieds on here, or other Jeep forums, on Ebay, or once again Craigslist. I have already found one but the deal fell through, just gotta take my time and wait for a good deal

On that note: anybody got some junk to sell me???
Old 01-15-2010, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

Nice just moved from four lakes in lisle. Now I'm by ohare air port
Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 AM

I got the ubolts custom made with 1/2" rod by Joliet Suspension. Im making my own ubolt plates with some 3/16" plate steel and the spring and shock mounts are from Iron Rock Offroad. Their spring mounts are adjustable so this should be a great thing considering the size of this axle and that I may need to position is further back.

The biggest problem thus far is getting the brake lines! I didn't have them when I bought the axle and there is nobody that carries this (autozone, napa, etc). Probably because this isn't requested often. Im having Midwest Hotrods in Plainfield make me some custom braided stainless lines now. This should solve my size differences (in the threaded connecting parts). The dealer wanted $55 per brake hose (need 2 for both sides of the axle).

Install will hopefully go down this Saturday
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 AM

Year: 1989

Sounds cool, I guess. ALthough I'd have to say I'm not really a fan of the H3's, that's like something my Mom or gf would want to take off-roading (no offense). I love all the vids online of hummers getting stuck while jeeps drive circles around them. Hummer is one of the reason gm is failing, and that name under gm will eventually die. also if you brought that h3 to the trails people would laugh or at least I would. I usually give people driving h2's the bird especially when it's some chick talking on her cell phone without even any passengers sucking up all the gas. Those are the people that make me sick. The military model hummers are cool, the civilian hummers are so lame. imo.

Last edited by DirtDog; 01-20-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: grammar errors
Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 AM

i dont think people will laugh the reason hummers fail is bc people take them stock off road and they arent built well the axle will be plenty tough though its the overhangs and angles that limit the h2 and h3s offroad capability not the rear axle , also independent front suspension limits it too
Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a good idea if you can match the width with the front , and the bolt pattern is gm 6 lug wich is the same as toyota and nissan

Quick Reply: Hummer H3 rear axle to Cherokee swap