Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hows your get up and go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hows your get up and go?

My wife thinks I worry about everything, but I want to take good care and make this thing last.
One thing I have noticed is my 01 sport 4.0 4x4 does not have a lot of get up and go. Although I have never really gunned it either. I drove an 06 f150 v8 so I realize there is a huge difference that I have to get over. My wife's 06 grand is a sporty little ride and seems to have more umph. My 01 sport seems to have a lot of torque but not a lot of speed. It seems to run strong with 140k and the oil pressure seems right at 50 while gassed and between 15 and 20 idle. The temp sits right at 20 and might move just a bit up and down so its just right as well. No leaks in the drive and I am just **** enough to look under my Jeep every time I get out. The only things I have notices that make me worry a little is the build up of grease and dirt around the head and the same around the lower part of the engine. Does everyone else have this same issue with power? I see all these pictures of Jeeps with these big tires and I wonder how much more stressful this must be on your engines. I also plan to pull a boat this summer, nothing huge, but I wonder if I will have any issues.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM

i have a 91 4.0 HO and its good say from a red light, but if im trying to pass someone on the freeway its slightly...sluggish..i think theres a reason the speedos only go to 90
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

I got a K&N FIPK and a 2.5 inch exhaust with a hi-flow cat and flowmaster, and I noticed a very large difference over stock. Even with 31's on stock gears and all my skid plates and heavy bumpers its back to being as fast as a stocker. I used to have a 4cyl Nissan altima and my Jeep is hands down faster.

And you said you are worrying about stress on your engine, I offroad with boatloads of people who think nothing of bouncing their engine off the rev limiter for decent periods and beat the crap out of them and they still go like almost 300Kmi, just maintain it, put good oil in it, change it, top it off and it will go forever. If you are worried about grease and dirt either seafoam it or run some ATF in the oil for the last 100 miles before your next oil change, cleans sludge right out.

Last edited by Iant333; 02-23-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by ken72
My wife thinks I worry about everything, but I want to take good care and make this thing last.
One thing I have noticed is my 01 sport 4.0 4x4 does not have a lot of get up and go. Although I have never really gunned it either. I drove an 06 f150 v8 so I realize there is a huge difference that I have to get over. My wife's 06 grand is a sporty little ride and seems to have more umph. My 01 sport seems to have a lot of torque but not a lot of speed. It seems to run strong with 140k and the oil pressure seems right at 50 while gassed and between 15 and 20 idle. The temp sits right at 20 and might move just a bit up and down so its just right as well. No leaks in the drive and I am just **** enough to look under my Jeep every time I get out. The only things I have notices that make me worry a little is the build up of grease and dirt around the head and the same around the lower part of the engine. Does everyone else have this same issue with power? I see all these pictures of Jeeps with these big tires and I wonder how much more stressful this must be on your engines. I also plan to pull a boat this summer, nothing huge, but I wonder if I will have any issues.
its gotta be faster than my RENIX lol. you ever have any missfires? they plug up cats and cause a huge bottleneck in exhaust when cat gets plugged. just do a tune up and seefoam it
Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM

no missfires. Engine runs great. When I hit the gas in my 06 grand that thing bolts. My sport just seem like its a little more powerful just not as fast. I like the seafoam idea, but I just did an oil change this week so I will have to wait a couple months for that.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

my 94 is a ripper, compared to my friends 2000. felt like my ride gained 25hp after a 100k mile fuel filter replacement.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Mine hauls butt... will light the 31's up for 50 feet... and good on hwy but not the best on top end..but plenty of red light to red light speed...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 4.0 engine, as well as nearly all inline 6 american motors, are built for low end torque. The full throttle kick in the pants speed is something they have never been known for.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Personally i feel mine is pretty quick (all i have is a cheap intake kit, and basic maintenance). Its not like a V8 but for what it is it hauls. Especially if youre tuned into how the trans shifts....if you know the shift points and where to expect them, youll get the absolute most out of ANY vehicle.

If youre planning on a seafoam, the recent oil change shouldnt effect that any....just dont run it in the oil, vacuum induce it, and run some through the tank! (and yes the three different ways do three different things)

Never hurts to do an ignition (plugs, wires, rotor, dis cap) tune up either if youre not sure when it was done last, I did notice a difference on mine when I did that a while back (it was running fine when I did, I just get **** about my stuff too)

Again, its not like a V8, nor is it the fastest thing out there, but for what it is...its quicker than I had thought in the beginning with a lot more power.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

Shelleys 96 is pretty quick, faster than her old malibu..
My renix is S L O W though..
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

might need a tune up. Run some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and put some new Champion copper plugs in it. Mine can spin the tires from a light if I stomp the gas, and I'm running 30's.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM

I havent really tried to gun it yet. I am really babying this engine right now to see what it can do. I love driving this thing and since I have made it my new daily commuter I need it to last, only driving it about 30 miles per day. Maybe I will seafoam the fuel lines this week and see if maybe I have some cloged injectors.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 PM

Year: 2000

could be because of lower gears, more torque and lower top speed...
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 AM

Year: 1997

...my get up and go must have got up and went
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Since the rated HP is 190 you're not going to be known as the local speed demon. Factor in 25% parasitic drive train loss and your available horsepower drops to around 142 at the rear wheels. If you live at a higher altitude your available HP and torque will be far less.

Aerodynamic is not a term you can associate with an XJ. A better discription is Driving a brick wall through a hurricane.

Bolt on performance mods that actually make an appreciable difference are few and far between. Free flowing mufflers and a CAI will help a bit. A larger cam will help out too. Huge increases in HP and Torque will only be realized by adding a supercharger, turbo, or an engine swap. Yes you can go the stroker route, but for the cost vs net gain you're going to be better off dropping in a V8.

Been there, done that,
got the tee shirt, waiting on the hat.

As far as performance with larger tires is concerned, one word:

Regear to keep the engine in the proper powerband.

Oops...guess that's more than one word.

Towing with an AW4 can be tricky since the tranny generates a huge amount of heat. Definetly add an auxillary cooler in addition to the OEM cooler. Never try to tow in Drive, your tranny won't like it and will more than likely prove it by puking fluid and dieing on the side of the road.

Quick Reply: Hows your get up and go?