Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to use Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default How to use Seafoam?

So I've heard about using Seafoam in the gas tank, crankcase, and vacuum line all at the same time. I am wondering if I put the stuff in the crankcase, will it make my oil leak worse? I have a small oil leak and if the engine gets carbon build up burned off then won't it increase my oil leak? Plus, does anyone know which vacuum line is easiest and how to unhook the hose?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Scheidttm
So I've heard about using Seafoam in the gas tank, crankcase, and vacuum line all at the same time. I am wondering if I put the stuff in the crankcase, will it make my oil leak worse? I have a small oil leak and if the engine gets carbon build up burned off then won't it increase my oil leak? Plus, does anyone know which vacuum line is easiest and how to unhook the hose?
I believe you put it in the oil and ride it for a bit and change the oil but it shouldn't make it leak more. You can put it in the vacuum line on your power brake booster, just have someone helping with the throttle unless you are a multi tasker...lol. You can also look on you tube for some videos...Tj
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

there's some youtube videos on how to use sea foam. last time i put seafoam in the XJ crank case is about 200 miles before i changed my oil.

Last edited by jiffy; 07-19-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 seafoam products that i know of. The most common is Seafoam in the can, where you just pour it out, into whatever. The other is Seafoam Deep Creep, in an aerosol can. That stuff is great for fogging an engine. The Deep Creep is great for stuck bolts, gummed carbs or throttle bodies, fuel injector cleaning(undo fuel supply line to fuel rail, dump out fuel in fuel rail, then fill with Deep Creep and put back together). Has more precise dosage capability that Seafoam in a pour can. Great siezed engine unseizer. For unseizing stuck rings, take out spark plugs, spray foamy Deep Creep in spark plug holes for 3 or 4 seconds, put plugs back in, and let sit for a day. Take plugs back out, spray Deep Creep again in spark plug holes for 3 or 4 seconds. Let sit for minute or two, then try turning over. Repeat until she breaks loose.