Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How much trans fluid in a 96 aw4

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default How much trans fluid in a 96 aw4

I just drained the pan and changed the filter, looks like I emptied over a gallon of fluid, probably at least 5 quarts....is this normal? I was looking at some posts and the manual I have said to add 2 quarts and check it from there. I'm now up to 4 and don't see a thing on the dipstick....should I just trust the reading on the stick and ignore everything else?

clueless right now as I don't want to overfill.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I put five and a half into mine last week. I had 2 quarts to much in it at least when I got it back from the stealership before with no troubles. I guess if you get too much in you can dump off from the drain plug.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Thank you for pointing out the obvious to me. I'm an idiot....Honestly I don't know when i would of thought about the drain plug....OK, well it looks like 4-5 quarts came out, filled a gallon container and a few inches of another one plus the stuff that spilled on the floor. Just needed a little reassurance. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

It holds way more fluid than you can get out by draining. This also means that you aren't really "changing" the fluid by doing what you did, you're just mixing a little new fluid with a lot of old.

You might want to do a couple more drain and fills to effectively change a bigger percentage of the fluid. There are ways to drain nearly all the fluid but they are a PITA.

I use an 12V Pump hooked up to a long cord and couple of alligator clips big enough to fit over the battery clamps and small tubing to pump excess oil out of the dipstick tube, works for me. You can also do the same thing with a battery filler bulb (enema bulb) and a long piece of tubing. I use clear aquarium tubing. Getting the plug out and finding the threads again quick can be iffy and messy.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks, I was going to drain the pain in a few weeks and refill again. I needed to change the filter, that's why I dropped it, fluid was nasty. Not sure the last time it was changed as I just picked this up a few weeks ago.