Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How To: Install New Headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How To: Install New Headunit?

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good guide, or could explain to me how to install a new head unit into my jeep.

I currently have the head unit in a 99 buick century, however i want to put it in my 92 jeep cherokee.

thanks.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Usually the company makes wiring harness adapters so their head units can be used in all vehicles. You can prob buy it online from amazon or the OEM or just google it, but a place like Best Buy may have on on hand.

Also you may need to buy a new face plate or whatever the plastic piece that hides the excess space the stock stereo took is called. I think other than thats its: plug, bolt, and play. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

When I was installing my deck a few months ago all I did was take out the old deck, buy one of those harnesses at a local stereo shop, then installed my new deck. Nothing special has to be done to the factory dash except maybe a little filing of the hole to fit the new deck. I also used the factory steel bracket and bolted the new deck to it. That was a little work but well worth it since its way harder to steal that way. I think that little adapter deal was about 20 bucks.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by fivendime
buy one of those harnesses at a local stereo shop
I'm sorry, i don't know what the harness is. What does it do?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

The harness does all the hard work for you. It plugs into the factory stereo connectors and sorts out the power, ignition, L-R speaker wires, ect... It makes the job easier because you dont have to spend the time chasing around wires.

Check this link out: http://www.installer.com/cars/jeepcherokee.php
Old 06-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Order from Crutchfield.com and They will include everything you need and detailed instructions! I got my eclipse from them last year and i threw the instructions aside and tore into it. But then again I have been installing my own stereo equipment for going on 10 years now!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:17 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Originally Posted by Demarrer
I'm sorry, i don't know what the harness is. What does it do?
Looks something like this:

But yeah basically its the wiring component to make a headunit work in any car, thats why the wiring harnesses are vehicle specific.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

walmart also has everything you will need from the wiring harness and the replacement mounting brackets if you need help just ask someone but its pretty easy other wise
Old 06-13-2009, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

If you are poor just hard wire it yourself does not take long to figure out the wires. But, if you have some money BUY THE HARNESS.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by bigbadxj
If you are poor just hard wire it yourself does not take long to figure out the wires. But, if you have some money BUY THE HARNESS.

Don't tell him that! Its 8 bucks(plus another 14 for the dash kit) just buy it and save a whole lot of headache in the future!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by bigbadxj

i have seen two many cars start on fire cause of this method and was in the back seat of a two door one that started on fire luckly they were all put out before something happened

Also if you run amp wires ever dont run them through the door and over the fender

just buy the connector from walmart, pepboys,autozone,best buy, or any stero spot near you
Old 06-14-2009, 11:01 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

if your going to hard wire it you would need to either T-tap or cut your stock harness off do it like 2inches back incase it ever needs to be put back on

these are wire colors that will be on your aftermarket stereo
http://www.the12volt.com/request/request2.asp

and these will be the wire colors in your jeep just match them up
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1151.html

Last edited by thesundancekid; 06-14-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

Originally Posted by REWSTER
i have seen two many cars start on fire cause of this method and was in the back seat of a two door one that started on fire luckly they were all put out before something happened

Also if you run amp wires ever dont run them through the door and over the fender

just buy the connector from walmart, pepboys,autozone,best buy, or any stero spot near you
Well if you are retarded & sloppy then yes you can start a fire but I have done it 50 times in cars that had been hacked up by thief's or in car that they do not make harnesses for (yes some cars they do not make harnesses for). If you do it right and use the right tools and connect products then there will be no issues.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

slopy and retarted way is to run it threw the fender and door jam its stupid
go threw an existing gromet with factory wires and dont tell me there is no existing wires going threw the firewall and if you cant get to it make a hole and use a gromet the best place and easyest to find if you have an automatic the factory puts a cut out behind the carpet for a clutch pedal and if its an auto there should be nothing there just make sure to put a rubber gromet after drilling they are like 2bucks at autozone or any parts store your amp kit will usally come with one also for that very reason if no clutch plate you can use a glass punch or a hammer and something that will make a dent on one side and make sure it clears on the other side takes 5 extra minutes and wont catch your car on fire

do it right the first time and no problems later and i have seen cars over a year later catch fire going threw the fender and door jam its just a matter of the time it takes to weakin and wear away at the insolation and ground the wire out

Last edited by thesundancekid; 06-15-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by FlexdXJ
Don't tell him that! Its 8 bucks(plus another 14 for the dash kit) just buy it and save a whole lot of headache in the future!
yup don't be cheap when it comes to the wiring or dash kit they are cheap save your loot some where else like dont go out for dinner for a day

Quick Reply: How To: Install New Headunit?