Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hose check confirmation (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hose check confirmation (pics)

Hey I was wondering if someone could take some time to tell me wether my heater hoses are connected correctly. I still seem to be having issues with air in the system and wondering if this could be the problem.

Ive had a look at the service manual but it doesnt show the hoses going through the control valve so I dont know if its correct after that.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Can't tell you with that LHD, but it appears good into/out of the heater control valve. Check to make sure both the hoses that are headed to the rear of your Jeep from the heater control valve go into a spot in the firewall. Do you have any coolant leaks that you are aware of.

Also, what year is your Jeep?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM

Its a 1997, yeah they both go to the heater core, just wondering if it matters what direction the flow is.

found this picture so will check tonight when I get home
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Have you removed the heater control valve at any point? I don't think it makes too much difference, but I would have installed it the other way (i.e. upside down from how you have it).

If you look at the heater control valve, it appears to be 2 distinct plastic molds (one side with 3 ports, and the other with 1 port that is out of plane with the others). Where the 2 come together (for me anyway) has been a source of leaks. As such, I installed mine so that coolant is only exposed to the interface of the 2 molds when coolant is going through the heater core (i.e. you have your heater on). The way you have it installed, coolant is continually flowing through that interface..... not that any of this seems to relate to the problem you are having. Note: This is OPPOSITE of the image that you have found. I have played with the valve and there is no fundamental difference in its operation if you install it backwards.