Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hood latch

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default hood latch

ok if ur sitting in my jeep n try to pop the hood only the left side pops up and not the right. I took a look under it n the cable isnt hooked up on the right side how do i fix it without being able to open my hood. i have a jeep cherokee classic 1999
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989,1992,1993,1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I'm sure you have figured this out... same thing happened to me this morning. Went to pull the hood to get out some "spares" I had under the hood and the hood latch came off in my hand

If you have long arms, don't mind getting scraped.. you can get on your back under the crank pulley, look up and try and move the hood latch rod to the drivers side of the jeep. best access is near the crank between the block and the radiator. If that doesn't work.. go to the appropriate side.

I first took off the headlight bezel in front of the non opening latch, 2 screws outside, 2 more screws to hold in the side marker light, and two more will show up under the marker light when removed.

now remove the headlight bucket, 2 adjustment screws and a small tension spring will come off that goes into the lower part of the bucket. unplug the light..

there are two bolts now that hold your corner latch in

one faces you and the other needs to be taken out from underneath.

remove the two.. (should also find some shims in there) and simply lift the hood and you can see whats wrong at that point. Good luck and don't forget to re-aim your headlight when you put it back together
Attached Thumbnails hood latch-bolts.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by K4LOG; 06-15-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: pics didn't work..