Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Homebrew door stop idea.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Homebrew door stop idea.

I was thinking the other day and thought that instead of using the original doorstops that cause hinge breaking on my 1994 xj among many others, or the factory's answer to a fix with the extended arm with a bumpstop on it. I think instead what i would prefer to do would be something similar to the door stops on a yj with webstrap as i do intend to go doorless sometime down the road and i think this may kill 2 birds with 1 stone when it gets to that stage in my build.
Then i though surely somebody else has thought of this and done a write up on it and would have pictures and parts that they used listed. But after several searches here, google and on CT none have produced any results. So i ask have any seen or done this mod themselves? And if so could you please post a link to the original post or provide at least some info as to what you did if you did it yourself. Thanks alot.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:18 PM

would they be able to have like a bungee effect? b/c if not i think you might be worse off as they would open all the way then come to a complete stop with full force and be more prone to ripping the hinges?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Well i guess if you used the right kind of web strap they all have a bit of stretch to them but if you buy the good stuff like rescue or climbing MIL grade tube strap (purchased at REI or a rock climbing supplier online i imagine)it would definitely have some spring to it.
But my main concern would be shortening the distance the door is allowed to open cause when i first bought my xj earlier in the month that issue wasnt worn into my mind yet. I let the door swing all they way open as the stops were disconnected by the PO and bam dented the panel right in front of the door. And after that it got me thinking. ive seen the strap stretch up a persons body weight and spring back after the weight is released, so i dont see why it wouldnt with a heavy freakin door.

Last edited by almostgotacj; 11-19-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Now that i think about it a little more it would probably have to involve some kind of body support and door support to the structure you bolt through though to help reinforce the areas that you will be adding stress too so maybe some large fender washers and a plate of metal for you to screw through the sheet metal into to distribute the stress a little bit.