Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hole In Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Hole In Alternator

In the process of replacing my camshaft I noticed there is a hole in my alternator. Not sure how long its been there but should I just replace it with a new one or keep on keeping on? I've had an alternator die on me before (middle of the night out wheeling - SUCKED) so I'm thinking I should probably replace it and just throw it in the back of the Jeep as a spare. Few questions though... I do a lot of night wheeling (live in AZ so night time is the best because its not 115F out) so I have a light bar and a few light pods. I do monitor my voltage and have a yellow top battery but I'm wondering if now would be a good time to upgrade to a mean green alternator? Also wondering if should maybe relocate the alternator to the AC compressor. AC doesn't work anyways, but I'm thinking of fixing the AC... not sure.... thoughts?

Hope this is the right location, seems like it could go either here or cherokee chat.

Thanks for the input.

edit* added pic of alternator

Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Weld a plate or new alternator.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If that hole were the only issue, and it were a city car, I'd probably leave it alone. You are risking needing a tow. But out in the desert? That's a bit more risk than I like. You know the desert I suspect - it does not forgive mistakes.

Add to that the extra lighting, and I think maybe it's time for an upgrade. And like you said, keep it as a spare.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

What was it hitting to eat the hole in it? This might be a bigger issue to take a look at maybe?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
What was it hitting to eat the hole in it? This might be a bigger issue to take a look at maybe?
very good point
Old 11-09-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

The alternator is in that ridiculous spot on the lower end of the motor. Looks to be like he mashed something on the trail and busted a hole in it.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJwonders
very good point

Hey...I got one right See, I switched to beer. lol

No...but seriously, I wonder if it had a broken mount bolt or maybe a bad motor mount? Those are mounted static right? something allowed that to rub on something and whatever it rubbed on may also now be an issue?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
The alternator is in that ridiculous spot on the lower end of the motor. Looks to be like he mashed something on the trail and busted a hole in it.

I thought that possible also...but see the aluminum pushed over the cast iron? Wouldn't that usually be the sign of being repeatedly bashed or rubbed against something? Truly think that hole was rubbed into this alternator.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought that possible also...but see the aluminum pushed over the cast iron? Wouldn't that usually be the sign of being repeatedly bashed or rubbed against something? Truly think that hole was rubbed into this alternator.

From appearance that very well seems to be the cause....But he said he had replaced it if so how long ago and did the old one show rubbing appear on it?

The Mean Green alt is a nice piece but very costly for what your running a Durango alt might fill the bill for you. I bought a used one from a JY and took it to a friend who has an alt/starter rebuild shop and had him to rebuild and rewind it. When finished it put out over 150 amps, keeps all my lights going and the winch when needed.

A good upgrade would be to go with a cowl intake to get rid of the air/filter box then you can add another battery very easy. I like the extra capacity of the second battery over a very HO alt JMO.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
From appearance that very well seems to be the cause....But he said he had replaced it if so how long ago and did the old one show rubbing appear on it?

The Mean Green alt is a nice piece but very costly for what your running a Durango alt might fill the bill for you. I bought a used one from a JY and took it to a friend who has an alt/starter rebuild shop and had him to rebuild and rewind it. When finished it put out over 150 amps, keeps all my lights going and the winch when needed.

A good upgrade would be to go with a cowl intake to get rid of the air/filter box then you can add another battery very easy. I like the extra capacity of the second battery over a very HO alt JMO.

You make a very very good point here Fred. We tend to just jump up and buy something extravagant when you could have your own custom built in a rewind shop for most times a lot less. My good friend Darrell owned a rewind shop and could rewind anything to whatever you wanted. He can rewind an electric lawn mower motor to alternate a vehicle if you wanted it. The capability of these guys that do this is highly underestimated and a forgotten skill!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Agreed. That doesn't look like an impact fracture. It looks like rubbing. Gotta fix whatever caused it.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 PM

Oh bunk.

That's a busted hole through that aluminum housing if I ever seen one.

For the sake of argument, what do you guys think could have rubbed it's way through that housing... and left such jagged edges?
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
Oh bunk.

That's a busted hole through that aluminum housing if I ever seen one.

For the sake of argument, what do you guys think could have rubbed it's way through that housing... and left such jagged edges?

You could be right but I have busted alternators before, dropping them Etc. and it usually just knocks a chunk out, that hole has been "feathered" into it. Ask any DOT inspection officer..."Shiny" means something is rubbing. Man have I got some trade stories about this

What caused it was indeed the question in the first place.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 11-10-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:35 AM

LOL, We really need the OP to show back up with his input on the matter lest we run ourselves ragged going in circles over a hole in an alternator.

Hey OP guy, you out there? We need more pics bro!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Anytime you polish/rub something to thin the edge tends to break in spots.

Quick Reply: Hole In Alternator