Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hi lift jack questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Default hi lift jack questions

i am really unfamiliar with these jacks and after reading how versitile and cheap they are i am thinking about geting one, but...

1. i am looking to get a 60" jack and i was wondering if it would lay down flat in the cargo area of my xj?

2. when on the trails, it is really a necesity (spelling?) to have the off road base?

3. from what ive herd, they act like a bumper jack so would stock xj bumpers handle the lift and where else could i use as a lift point on my xj?

thanks for everyones advice!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boardmanXJ
i am really unfamiliar with these jacks and after reading how versitile and cheap they are i am thinking about geting one, but...

1. i am looking to get a 60" jack and i was wondering if it would lay down flat in the cargo area of my xj?...NO

2. when on the trails, it is really a necesity (spelling?) to have the off road base?...NO

3. from what ive herd, they act like a bumper jack so would stock xj bumpers handle the lift and where else could i use as a lift point on my xj?...NO they are not, but they sell wheel straps that will help you out. They will work well as a winch, though!!

...Don't mention it!!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

1. i am looking to get a 60" jack and i was wondering if it would lay down flat in the cargo area of my xj?

2. when on the trails, it is really a necesity (spelling?) to have the off road base?

3. from what ive herd, they act like a bumper jack so would stock xj bumpers handle the lift and where else could i use as a lift point on my xj?

the 60 inch will not lay across but if you fold the rear seats down it might fit that way. the bases are cheap you can avoid using them on most trails but in snow mud or sand you will want it. i would avoid the bumper if you have side rails or tubing to protect the sides lift from there. you might be able to lift from the bumper but it could slip off if not on stable ground.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

if you have the roof rack mount it to the rack
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

i was going to rachet strap it down to the cargo restrain tabs on the floor of the rear cargo area. i didn't think the 60 was guna fit, but the 48" will still do the job, right? i dont want to mount it anywhere on the outside of my xj cause people keep stealing/breaking all my stuff, and this is one thing that i really shouldn't go without anymore.

mud and sand might be a problem for me so i might spring for the off road base, and i dont have any rocker guards yet to mount to, but i will deffinatly get the wheel straps
Old 03-09-2009, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

i have the 48''. that one lays down in the back with the seats up.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Seasoned Member

• cant u just use a cut down 2x6 pressure treated board to save money nstead of the base they sell
  • Also where do u lift on a stuck xj to change tire if you have one of theses
Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xer0
  • cant u just use a cut down 2x6 pressure treated board to save money nstead of the base they sell
my question exactly lol
Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

i was going to ratchet strap it down to the cargo restrain tabs on the floor of the rear cargo area. i didn't think the 60 was guna fit, but the 48" will still do the job, right? i don't want to mount it anywhere on the outside of my xj cause people keep stealing/breaking all my stuff, and this is one thing that i really shouldn't go without anymore.

mud and sand might be a problem for me so i might spring for the off road base, and i don't have any rocker guards yet to mount to, but i will defiantly get the wheel straps
i got the 48 to lay side to side but you have to remove the top ring piece it barely fit though. that sucks about the people stealing though i put mine on top and it has been there for months nobody offroads or cares about it here so they don't bother it. get the wheel straps for sure but if you just fab up some side protection or buy some that is your best bet. or if you get a aftermarket bumper
Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.
Engine: 4.0L

I've used a hi-lift in the center of both my front and rear stock bumpers without issue. I wouldn't be going and laying down under the thing but I wouldn't trust just a floor jack either. Bring at least one jack-stand in case you have to do repairs under the vehicle. And as far as the base goes, pressure treated wood would work, so would any decently flat rock you find along the side of the trail. IMO the bases are overpriced.

Last edited by BudgetXJ; 03-09-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Darn spelling
Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xer0
the 2x6 works good but it will fall apart after a while the base is cheap and wont rust or decay like wood or metal. and for the tire lift you don't use it to change the tires it is used mostly for lifting the tire and being able to put things under it to get unstuck from what i can tell
Old 03-09-2009, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990 2dr base
Engine: 4.0L

I have been able to lift an XJ with stock bumpers as long as you use the bumper lift attachment and lift at the bumper mounting points.

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/index.html

A 48" Hi-lift fits behind the rear seat.

Last edited by ColoradoJeepXJ; 03-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i have never needed to use my 48" to its full potential. and when it gets close to the top the jack usually becomes pretty unstable and i lower it down and try to build up the base a little. I can't imagine using a 60".

Fits perfect in the back of an xj (sideways) although you would want to tie it down/bolt it down for wheeling. I reccomend keeping it somewhere easily accessible by the doors (not hatch) when flexed and you need it, the hatch won't close until you are back on semi flat ground.

if i needed to get a tire off the ground i ratchet strapped my axle to the motor mounts in front.

you can lift from the stock bumpers, just make sure you lift from near the mounting points though

you can also lift from the rocker panels, but i wouldn't reccomend it if you care about how they look.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

My Jeep Spends 80 % of its life in the sand. Never had to use it on my own Jeep for recovery though(I air down to 10-15 Lbs). Some 2x6 would be all you need. I do you use my hi lift for all drive way repairs. I've never had a problem with it on my stock bumper. ALWAYS use a stand though.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

i've seen then bend stock bumpers. i would say yes to the base, you never know what the terrain will be like, the jack might start to sink if you dont have it.

Quick Reply: hi lift jack questions