Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

herculining question: Exterior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default herculining question: Exterior?

Ok, I've got the basics down pretty much, but I am slightly confused about how you actually apply this stuff.

Do you rub it on the painted metal with a roller brush?

Do you mask off the section your going to do with some kinda auto tape?

I would like a small portion of my fenders about 1 inch to 1.25" or so above the lip and the same in the rear...since having done trimming...and also the rocker portion of the truck.

Any help appreciated and welcomed. thanks Kyle.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I just bed liner'd my floorboard using a roller brush. Worked pretty good for me.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

tape it off sand it down and go to town!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 92 & 99

That's what I did and pretty happy with the results
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996

I masked a section off and herculined over it, if you don't peel the tape off before it drys you will never get the tape off. You will then need to remask up to the line where the first coat stopped for the second coat.

I don't use the foam rollers supplied in the kit because the acetone in the herculiner eats the roller and tends to leave chunkes of it in your finish, I just herculined my floor pans last week and used a 3" wide fuzzy roller. It worked great and gave me the same results as the supplied foam roller.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Hi there,
I just joined here. (1st post)

I recently re-did my doors and door sills with Rustoleum bed liner so I may offer my "story".
I noticed some surface rust starting so I sanded it all down and primed with rust stop paint, then used the liner.

I have some body armor so I used bed liner all over that as well as my doors, door sills, and bottom section under the doors.
Masked up a line above my armor, sanded, primed any bare metal, and painted the Rustoleum on with a paint brush. Nice and heavy 2 coats. (then did it all over again a few weeks later and applied 3 more coats haha)

I could not be happier with the results.
It is durable and washes even waxes up nice!
Here are some pics I will share.

Not bad for a paint brush. lol
but it is meant to have a textured look. ;o)

I also added some 3M sure step to the sills in place of the stock door sills.
(be careful if you have a girl friend or wife cause they this stuff cut my wifes legs lol)

cleaned up and waxed. haha Mud free shots

thanks for sharing everyone.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96
I masked a section off and herculined over it, if you don't peel the tape off before it drys you will never get the tape off. You will then need to remask up to the line where the first coat stopped for the second coat.

I don't use the foam rollers supplied in the kit because the acetone in the herculiner eats the roller and tends to leave chunkes of it in your finish, I just herculined my floor pans last week and used a 3" wide fuzzy roller. It worked great and gave me the same results as the supplied foam roller.
Definitely peel the tape off ASAP as soon as you finish peel it.

Read the instructions good on the paint choice.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brian
Hi there,
I just joined here. (1st post)

I recently re-did my doors and door sills with Rustoleum bed liner so I may offer my "story".
I noticed some surface rust starting so I sanded it all down and primed with rust stop paint, then used the liner.

I have some body armor so I used bed liner all over that as well as my doors, door sills, and bottom section under the doors.
Masked up a line above my armor, sanded, primed any bare metal, and painted the Rustoleum on with a paint brush. Nice and heavy 2 coats. (then did it all over again a few weeks later and applied 3 more coats haha)

I could not be happier with the results.
It is durable and washes even waxes up nice!
Here are some pics I will share.

Not bad for a paint brush. lol
but it is meant to have a textured look. ;o)

I also added some 3M sure step to the sills in place of the stock door sills.
(be careful if you have a girl friend or wife cause they this stuff cut my wifes legs lol)

cleaned up and waxed. haha Mud free shots

thanks for sharing everyone.
thanks for the info and nice looking jeep looks clean...and I don't have a GF or wife lol been trying to find a girl for years but nothing works I have no game girls hardly notice me lol...

Also thank you everyone for your help much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 AM

Year: 1998

I am planning on doing my whole XJ in herculiner. I was planning on just brushing mine on tho and see how that goes. Was going to just start with the bumpers, and go from there. Anyone else do body panels with a brush? Or is it recommended to use the roller?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Default Status

Originally Posted by SweetLou
I am planning on doing my whole XJ in herculiner. I was planning on just brushing mine on tho and see how that goes. Was going to just start with the bumpers, and go from there. Anyone else do body panels with a brush? Or is it recommended to use the roller?
Wondering if you've done this yet...
Old 10-24-2009, 04:45 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by m42duster
Wondering if you've done this yet...

Yup, I have and it turned out pretty good. I actually used a 3 inch roller for most of it, and brushed it on in the tighter spots where the roller couldn't reach. 1 gallon managed to give me 2 coats over the entire jeep, and i put 3 coats on the hood. I also had a bit left over after that.

I think it looks great. I have noticed though that it did not stick so well to the blastic bumper end caps. I am thinking due to flex. The rest has held up great though. I ended up using PlastiKote brand from walmart, but it seems they stopped carrying that, and switched to Rustoleum brand in the gallon. It is a lot cheaper than the herculiner. I figured I would give the cheap stuff a try first, and if I didn't like it, or if it wasn't holding up, then I would just redo it with the herculiner.

Total time was about 8 hours. 5 hours to prep, 3 to paint.