Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP When I pull my headlight knob out , my brake lights all turn on and stay on.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy HELP When I pull my headlight **** out , my brake lights all turn on and stay on.

Hey everyone, Im extremely aggravated with my rig right now. I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0l.

The Issue: When i pull out the headlight ****, the headlights turn on and the brake lights do as well so when im driving around at night it looks as if my foots on the brake the entire time. The F16 15A fuse kept blowing and my whole dash would stop working alongside the radio. I followed a few forum posts and narrowed it down to the C7 Connector in the Junction Block. After disconnecting the C7 connector i stopped blowing the fuse and the dash and radio would work fine, but the rear nigh-time driving lights would not come on and the rear electric door locks would not work (obviously powered through the connector)

I took off the back lift gate and went through all the wires and did not find any real breaks, only slight cracks in the wire insulation which i then fixed. When i reconnected the C7 connector it was still blowing the fuse.

Since I was getting annoyed and needed to narrow it down further Began to clip each wire connected to the C7 connector until the fuse stopped blowing. I found that the issue lied with "Cavity 4 - Circuit M1 20PK FUSED B(+)". After cutting that wire i was able to reconnect C7 without blowing the fuse, but the brake issue when the headlights come on still remains.

Someone please help me figure this out, the electrical issue is making me wanna rip my hair out
Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

On possibility is that incorrect bulbs have been used in the tail lights. However, only you will know if that is even a possibility (any recent replacements?).

Another is that the wires near the tail lights or in the hatch have gotten fused together somewhere. Have you pulled the tail light boxes to have a look at the condition of the wires on the back of the sockets yet?

I believe there might also be another condition where a bulb burns out and fuses internally allowing the taillight circuit to begin also powering the brake light circuit. (Don't quote me on this one, but I swear I read something on it just the other day, though I have no personal experience with it).
Old 02-21-2017, 01:04 PM

Default HELP

Originally Posted by Devin Res
Hey everyone, Im extremely aggravated with my rig right now. I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0l.

The Issue: When i pull out the headlight ****, the headlights turn on and the brake lights do as well so when im driving around at night it looks as if my foots on the brake the entire time. The F16 15A fuse kept blowing and my whole dash would stop working alongside the radio. I followed a few forum posts and narrowed it down to the C7 Connector in the Junction Block. After disconnecting the C7 connector i stopped blowing the fuse and the dash and radio would work fine, but the rear nigh-time driving lights would not come on and the rear electric door locks would not work (obviously powered through the connector)

I took off the back lift gate and went through all the wires and did not find any real breaks, only slight cracks in the wire insulation which i then fixed. When i reconnected the C7 connector it was still blowing the fuse.

Since I was getting annoyed and needed to narrow it down further Began to clip each wire connected to the C7 connector until the fuse stopped blowing. I found that the issue lied with "Cavity 4 - Circuit M1 20PK FUSED B(+)". After cutting that wire i was able to reconnect C7 without blowing the fuse, but the brake issue when the headlights come on still remains.

Someone please help me figure this out, the electrical issue is making me wanna rip my hair out
Any help is great
Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 PM

You need to find a starting point. Disconnect your stop lamp switch on your brake pedal arm. do your brake lights still stay lit up?