Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help!!!!Pls!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Help!!!!Pls!!!!

I bought my jeep and it already had the possi lock cable in it.When i try to lock it in it doesnt but if i keep messin with it somtimes it locks. But when its locked in it slipes out after a min or 2. Whats wrong and what should i do?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 liter h.o.

trust me just get a front axle out of a 92 and up cherokee. it doesnt have the disconnect. i messed with that stupid posi lok crap for a long time and never got it to always stay in. i couldnt trust it at all. now all i have to do is pull the lever in to 4wd and im good to go. quick, easy, and only cost me 200 bucks from pick n pull.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/inst_tsg.html
Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

You can pull the axle out of a donor diff and replace the two piece set up with the one piece axle. I have the same set up,but the cable to mine was cut by a junk yard at soem point for the PO. What I did was pull the posi lock out,slid the splined ring over to engage both shafts, took the posi lock to the vice and pulled the plunger end off (where the wires attatch) and made me a spacer to go inside the plunger to keep the shift fork solid. Installed it back in the axle and I haven't had an issue since. Posi Lock does make a permanent kit that does the same thing. I just went the cheap route. If it holds, it holds.If it doesn't, then I will do soemthing else like swap out diff's..