Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help please

Does anyone know about the 4X4 vacuum activator on an 89 Cherokee. I heard that the vacuum activator sucks and I should replace it with the cable activator. So if you know about it can you direct me to a web site that has the conversion kit that would be great cause I'm lost on this one
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

The vac actuator is prone to failure with age and deterioration of the vac diaphram, tubes, corrosion to the vac pod, slop interior of the aluminum shift fork, and the wear blocks on the shift fork, and freezing of moisture in the lines and at the valve actuation at the transfer case. Wow, nuf said. It can also work very slick when all parts are well. I've seen new vac pod charged out at $300 cdn from parts distributor. Having an 89 there is possibility system may have deteriorating parts. I run the Posi Lock cable system with the iron shift fork. Took a full evening to install but I really like it. Positive engagement and release. Nice cable. I made a better nut on the cab mount end to engage more of the threads at the mount bracket.
www.4x4posi-lok.com 517-279-7177 michigan, they can help you.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peep
The vac actuator is prone to failure with age and deterioration of the vac diaphram, tubes, corrosion to the vac pod, slop interior of the aluminum shift fork, and the wear blocks on the shift fork, and freezing of moisture in the lines and at the valve actuation at the transfer case. Wow, nuf said. It can also work very slick when all parts are well. I've seen new vac pod charged out at $300 cdn from parts distributor. Having an 89 there is possibility system may have deteriorating parts. I run the Posi Lock cable system with the iron shift fork. Took a full evening to install but I really like it. Positive engagement and release. Nice cable. I made a better nut on the cab mount end to engage more of the threads at the mount bracket.
www.4x4posi-lok.com 517-279-7177 michigan, they can help you.
Thanks alot bro