Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP!!!!!!!!!PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default HELP!!!!!!!!!PLEASE

i just seen that my jeep is leaking oil by the oil filter and i think it is that bracket that the filter mounts to. i tried to get the bolt that holds it on loose and ended up stripping it out and now have no clue how to get it off. Any suggestions i am thinking on welding a bolt or old socket to it and just getting a new one when i replace the seal. will that work.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Be very careful because the adapter that the bolt is running through is aluminum. Make sure you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before welding anything on a Jeep. That bolt is/was a tork T-60 so that may be why you messed up the head. Under that adapter is a set of O rings. The dealer has a kit that has those in it. They are better quality than the kits from most parts stores. Exception would be NAPA. Prolly already told you more than you wanted to know.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:10 PM

yea the t-60 is what i used but the thing was on there tight as hell. thanks
Old 11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
X-J

Year: 1995 2WD & 1988 4WD
Engine: 242

I had the same problem a while back
I had to use vice grips & cheater bar to get it loose clamped to the outer edges and then finish screwing it out with a curved star wrench or a torx wrench ; can't remember
BTW - oil filter adapter gasket (fel-pro)>
autozone > $8
O' really > $2
this was the only gasket i didn't replace when i did a rebuild. it was a pain in the to get it out.

Last edited by X-J; 11-16-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Year: 1991

I recently put aftermarket motor mounts in, and had to take mine off to get the bolts to clear.
Had the same issue, That bolt had been put in place 17 years ago, man it was tight. I actually snapped the head off.
I drilled it and welded some bar stock into it. Then used a 20 inch adjustable to break it free. Dang 20 minute job turned into the whole afternoon.
Oh well at least I was out int he garage, and not stuck behind a computer.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ran into it on my xj and replaced the gasket but still had the leak .After about of week of looking for it and found theat the dist.hold down was broken and was letting oil leak out by the dis.Used a chevy v-8 dis hold down to hod the dis in place and put a new gasket undr the dist.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:01 PM

well i guess i am gonna mess with it the next day off i have i really need to change motor mounts to and where that filter adapter is it would be alot better to get to with the motor mount out. thanks for the help