Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help please!!

1993 Cherokee Country Auto

Alright, here is the history. I was driving about a week and a half ago. Slowed down, made a right turn up a hill, pressed the accelerator pedal and it was as if the jeep wanted to die. I let my foot off the accelerator and pressed again and it accelerated as normal. I knew something was wrong but kept going. 5 miles later the exact same scenario. Drove it again 2 days later and got the same issue. I don't know if the right hand turn has any relevance, but i included because it was an observation.

I replaced the fuel pump since i knew i needed a new one and the fuel filter as well. The jeep started right up and ran for about 5 mins and i shut it down. the next morning i get in to go to work and couldn't get more than a few hundred yards and it dies. I limped it back home, it must have died at least twice more.

Now it's sitting in my drive way. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator because a friend suggested it. the jeep will fire right up no problem. after idling about 20 or 30 seconds it will start to stall out, then the fuel pump will kick more fuel and the idle will level out and after another 20 or 30 seconds the idling will get rough again and will usually stall out. a few time when i have tried to rev the engine to keep it going it will either bog down and there have been a few backfires.

any suggestions? ive heard tps, cps, map, grounds..... i am going to check my grounds today.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

What brand of fuel pump did u use? U might not want to hear it... but it could be bad... right out of the box.

Also... I put in a cheap one. Not my brightest idea. It bogs down if less than a quarter tank on left hand turns and my auto start barely works half the time.

Only other thing might be a bent fuel line when. U put it in.

Most people would probably say to put a Guage on the fuel rail and have someone run/Rev it. See if the numbers change/drop. If not... it's not the gas issue. Then look elsewhere.

In my experience, if I change a part, and immediately start having issues... it's usually what I just changed.

Any codes?

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Search cruisers tips also. He's a moderator. Knows a heck of a lot.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:56 PM

it was an autozone pump. after putting it in and having the start then stall issue i took it back and swapped for another. still the same. i will check the fuel pressure and see what i get.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:42 PM

Still no luck here. Any help?