Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power window issue 01 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window issue 01 XJ

Hey everyone. I’ve had an 01 XJ sitting for a while and I’m having an issue with the windows. All windows work from their respective switch and all functions work from driver switch EXCEPT passenger down. I’ve torn everything apart. Ohmed out all wires from switch to switch. The lights dim and the switch smells when I attempt to put passenger down. Also, all switches replaced. What am I missing? Thank you!
Old 04-29-2024, 11:19 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 619 Likes on 526 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ronnyp
Hey everyone. I’ve had an 01 XJ sitting for a while and I’m having an issue with the windows. All windows work from their respective switch and all functions work from driver switch EXCEPT passenger down. I’ve torn everything apart. Ohmed out all wires from switch to switch. The lights dim and the switch smells when I attempt to put passenger down. Also, all switches replaced. What am I missing? Thank you!
Here is how I "fixed" that problem

Identify the suspect wire from the circuit diagram, it will probably be the one from or to the switch, they emanate from behind the kick panel

Make a jumper cable with about 10Amp gauge with an insulated paperclip soldered to each end

piggyback the suspect wires. Problem resolved. At that point you are technically best to examine and replace the defective (likely wire)

These wires go thru the door opening and are contained within a rubber boot, they flex and break internally

A Digital Ohmmeter (multimeter) will pass just a few milliamps of current, and the wire will show as good, but it will not pass 10A to drive a window motor though a few strands of copper
Old 04-30-2024, 07:05 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Try running the window motor with a straight 12vdc signal from a separate battery source...

Todd
The following users liked this post:
awg (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 09:19 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 619 Likes on 526 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MrTodd
Try running the window motor with a straight 12vdc signal from a separate battery source...
Todd
Yes that is a good idea to try first up, but I assumed the gent has already tried that

Also, an old fashioned incandescent test light is good to use double checking for current