Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help Identifying Part

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help Identifying Part

I've had some issues with the lock mechanism on the rear hatch of my 96 xj. Its gotten to the point that I just decided I would unhook the power to it, since I'm tired of getting locked out of my tailgate (the key cylinder doesn't work either). Pulled the plastic panel and unhooked both wires that were attached to the lock mech, but not I've lost my hatch mount brake brake light and license plate light.

I assumed the black wire I disconnected must have been a shared ground between the three(+) components, and plugged that wire back in, but I still have no 3rd brake light or license plate light.

I have a FSM for the 95-87 model years since 96 is such an odd duck and the FSM never seems to match what is on the Jeep. For this wiring diagram, I pulled out the 95, since this hatch design is more in line with that year.

I'm not all that experienced with wiring diagrams, so tracing everything has been a bit of struggle, but from what I can tell, there is a shared ground between the 3rd brake light and the license plate light, but then it goes to something that I am having problems trying to decipher.

To me, it looks like the grounds splice together at S319, then lead to the symbol I have highlighted in blue. Can anyone identify that thing for me? I haven't been able to find a reference to what it is. I'm stuck at work and when I get home and can mess around with it, I'm sure I will find something in relation to the ground that will ultimately fix this issue, but this symbol is now driving me crazy.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I am not familiar with a 96, or its diagrams, but could the part on the left be a rubber boot the wiring passes thru? No clue what the part on the right might be.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

Problem is solved, but I'm still really curious about what that symbol is supposed to be, so if anyone knows, do tell.

My issue turned out to be a loose wire at the brake light and a corroded socket for the license plate light. Guess it was either coincidence that they all happened to show up at the same time, or maybe when I was messing with the lock switch, and pulling the plastic panel off and stuff, maybe I shook things up enough to make the separate issues show up at the same time? Don't really care. Problem was solved with some simple trouble shooting and a multi-meter, and its good to go now.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

part has to be a connector, where? why that way?