Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! - Can I drop my '99 gas tank just a little?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Help! - Can I drop my '99 gas tank just a little?

Hi Guys,

I've been chasing down a P0455 large Evap leak, and found out that the steel line running from the charcoal canister to the rollover valve is rusted through. While poking around in there, I accidentally pulled the plastic section that runs over the top of the tank off of the rollover valve nipple...Doh! Now I'm trying to avoid completely dropping the tank, and am wondering if I can just drop it down 2-3 inches as the threaded hangers will allow, or should I just bite the bullet and take it out and change the filter, pump, Etc. Also, is is dangerous to drive in this state until I have more time/parts to fix it?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

If dropping it that little will allow to get your hands in there and work on it. I would just do that. But if you are having any kind of puel pressure problems I would just drop it and change the entire fuel pump assembly. I would start be checking out the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a mechanical pressure gauge. You pressure should be 49psi, + or - 5 psi. If it is much more just change it out. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the reply Robert. I couldn't get the dang nuts on the tank hangers loose, so I actually ended up pushing that section of plastic tube back onto the rollover valve nipple without dropping the tank. I taped a small mirror to the underside of the vehicle body, hanging down at 45 degrees, and looking back into the top of the tank. It was like pushing a rope, but somehow it managed to slide back on. Then I replaced the rotten section of steel line with a polyethylene line, and viola, leak gone, CEL out! The vehicle runs great, so for now I will leave the pump alone. Thanks for the fuel pressure spec... good to know.

Dave