Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help

Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default help

bought a 91 xj for a guy i now that had put a 5.5 inch lift under it not to sure what all he has done to it other than adjustable lowers coils and rear leafs but it has super sloppy steering and road walks like crazy o and also gettin hot any ideas on the subject would b great thanks

Last edited by muddyhillbilly; 06-16-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Year: 1992

You mean dog walking?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 PM

i guess thats what u call is when it is all over the road
Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

Tie rods, sloppy steering box, Rear axle out of place, these are the places I would look first, maybe the box if I absolutely had to, but definitely look at your rod ends and u bolts. Also you can measure the wheels from center cap to center cap (center of the caps) to see that the distances are equal or at least very close. Heat could be any number of things. I would check your t stat first and foremost, then move elsewhere. When is it overheating? How bad does she walk? Give me a little more and I or someone else will help you out for sure. Good Luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 PM

i have gutted the t stat out and it seemed to help alot but its slowly buildin so think the radiator may need to be rotted and its pretty bad like hit a bump and it will take off or if the roads have grooves it tries to run with them i was wonderin if i changed the bushings on the upper arms if it would help and rearend is square its something to do with the front
Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Have you checked the alignment? http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm Bad catser in this case, causes sloppy steering and road wander. Also, worn TREs and steering box.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by muddyhillbilly
i have gutted the t stat out and it seemed to help alot but its slowly buildin so think the radiator may need to be rotted and its pretty bad like hit a bump and it will take off or if the roads have grooves it tries to run with them i was wonderin if i changed the bushings on the upper arms if it would help and rearend is square its something to do with the front
for the raditor instead of having it rodded, you can drain the coolant replace with 50/50 mix of vinegar/water run it for a little while rinse and repeat if needed the vinegar will break the rust/scale/gunk loose so rinseing after is important.