Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help!

I have 2 questions... I have an 89 XJ with a V8 engine swap. It has a 6 inch lift.

1. I need a locker. I am thinking about an OX locker. Manual. Any suggestions??

2. It has a terrible death wobble on the freeway. It's great on the trails and the steering is very responsive. Something I just have to live with?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jazander
I have 2 questions... I have an 89 XJ with a V8 engine swap. It has a 6 inch lift.

1. I need a locker. I am thinking about an OX locker. Manual. Any suggestions??

2. It has a terrible death wobble on the freeway. It's great on the trails and the steering is very responsive. Something I just have to live with?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
what axles do you have?

the dw needs to be fixed. check the usual things. trackbar, tre, balljoints, that kinda stuff.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Default Help

For the Locker - The axels are 35 front and 44 rear.

For the death wobble, We have checked all the standard stuff. Guess I will just have to keep it under 55. It doesn't seems to get bad until I get on the freeway.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jazander
For the Locker - The axels are 35 front and 44 rear.

For the death wobble, We have checked all the standard stuff. Guess I will just have to keep it under 55. It doesn't seems to get bad until I get on the freeway.
its a d30 front. for the d44 in the rear I would just buy an aussie locker for it. fits in a non lsd carrier.

as for the dw. you didnt look hard enough. there is something wrong with your front end. lots of times it your trackbar. bushings, not being torqued down enough.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

i like OX. personally, i think manual locker has less chance of a failure. but as far as i know, the diff cover needs to be modified for an OX locker. although i'm not positively sure about that.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned

There is alot of write ups on BW. Are your tires cupping or not balanced? Track bar, bushings, Alignment, What kinda steering setup is on that thing with 6" of lift? If it's stock that might be why. And of course check the torque on all bolts. It's something in there. We've all had it at one point.
Also, did they use the stock drop pitman arm? With 6" of lift they should have used a 3" longer one.
Check steering box and bolts. See if they are any cracks in that area.

OX lockers are dope. The cable may stretch over time and I'm pretty sure you do need a new diff cover. aussie lockers work great. I've also used Powertrax and those work well in the rear. I think regardless of which locker you get. It'll be an improvement. Just gotta weight pros and cons of each and see what will work for your style of driving and budget. ARB's are great too. easy to field repair and just about every dude on the trail will have one if you do happen to run into issues.

Last edited by 07Negative; 06-08-2010 at 06:07 PM.