Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help ?

I have a 1998 jeep Cherokee xj and as I was driving my check engine light came on, is that normal? That has never happened before.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Jrjunior247
I have a 1998 jeep Cherokee xj and as I was driving my check engine light came on, is that normal?
No, it's not normal, but it's also not a reason to panic. The CEL is telling you that something is operating outside of normal parameters. It's something that needs to be fixed, but how urgent it is depends on what code it's throwing.

What you need to do is go to one of your local auto parts stores like O'Reilly, Advance Auto, Autozone, etc., and ask them to read the code for you. They will hook up an OBDII reader to your Jeep and pull the code, usually for free. Write the code down so that you don't forget it. They may also look it up in their computer to see what it is, so if they give you a description, write that down also.

Then come post the code (or codes, sometimes there's more than one) here in this thread, and people might be able to help. You can also find a lot of information just by searching the board or the web for the code. I would venture to guess that pretty much all the codes you could get have been discussed at some point or another.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
No, it's not normal, but it's also not a reason to panic. The CEL is telling you that something is operating outside of normal parameters. It's something that needs to be fixed, but how urgent it is depends on what code it's throwing.

What you need to do is go to one of your local auto parts stores like O'Reilly, Advance Auto, Autozone, etc., and ask them to read the code for you. They will hook up an OBDII reader to your Jeep and pull the code, usually for free. Write the code down so that you don't forget it. They may also look it up in their computer to see what it is, so if they give you a description, write that down also.

Then come post the code (or codes, sometimes there's more than one) here in this thread, and people might be able to help. You can also find a lot of information just by searching the board or the web for the code. I would venture to guess that pretty much all the codes you could get have been discussed at some point or another.
Alright I will do so asap
Old 02-03-2016, 09:14 PM

Default Help?

This are the codes that my 1998 jeep Cherokee xj had with the check engine light on!
P1899
P1698
P0740
But the light goes off and take days for it to turn back on????
Old 02-03-2016, 09:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Did you Google those codes?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by wizardpc
Did you Google those codes?
Yes I did but doesn't make no sense .
Old 02-05-2016, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Take it to a qualified mechanic.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Those codes are for your neutral safety switch (NSS), a computer communication problem and the torque converter solenoids in your transmission. Unfortunately that's not a basic run-of-the-mill situation where we can tell you exactly what to do. This appears to be a recurring problem with '97 and '98 XJs.

P1899 is the one having to do with the NSS. You can try removing and cleaning or replacing it. Here's an article on that, but you can search the board to find a lot of other discussion of the NSS as well:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...safety-switch/

P1698 is a computer issue that apparently sometimes comes in tandem with the P1899 NSS fault above. These two together seem to point to an electrical issue. This thread has the testing procedures for testing that:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tro...e-p1698-99973/

P0740 has to do with torque converter solenoids, but sometimes it's really a phantom code also related to the NSS. I couldn't find a quick and dirty thread for that one, so you'll have to search and learn.

Personally, I would start with the NSS and then go from there, because the NSS may be the source of all your woes. If that doesn't fix it, you'll need to read up on the various approaches to these issues until you figure it out.

Remember to disconnect the battery to clear the codes after you're done. Otherwise you'll still be seeing the stored code and won't know whether it worked. You should also consider getting either a code reader or a bluetooth dongle and Torque on your phone so you can read codes and clear them correctly.

Don't feel bad if you're in over your head. We don't all slide out of the womb with factory service manuals preinstalled in our brains. But if that's the case, there's no shame in paying someone else to fix it. Search on the internet for a reputable mechanic in your area with good online reviews. (And stay the hell away from Firestone.)