Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! 04 GC Cranks/No start/fuel smell in engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Help! 04 GC Cranks/No start/fuel smell in engine

Hello! Glad there is a forum out here like this! This is my first time posting here.
I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 w/approx 185k miles on it.
The issue started a few months ago when I was driving on the freeway and all of sudden the speedometer, RPM & gas guages started going crazy! The gas guage went all the way down to E & at the same time it started sputtering and losing acceleration. As I stepped on the gas it would not accelerate & kept sputtering. I pulled over & shut it off not knowing what the hell that was. After a few minutes I restarted it and drove home & everything seemed normal,

When I got home I researched this online and found that it could be numerous things including the throttle postion sensor & fuel filter. So I asked a few friends about it & they were saying it's probably the fuel filter or fuel pump.
When I called a shop they wanted almost $300 to replace the fuel filter & even more for the pump. I said "F" that I'll figure out how to do it myself. I am not mechanically inclined but I am very handy with many other things so I went on youtube and watched a video on how to replace the fuel filter. I watched the fuel pump video as well but that is something I don't feel comfortable with replacing myself so I figured I would put in the fuel filter.
It was a pain in the *** but I replaced it. I took it for a test drive & all seemed fine. Just as I was giving myself a pat on the back it started doing the same damn thing again! Ugh!
So that wasn't the issue but it needed to be replaced anyway.
So then I watched a video on how to replace the throttle postion sensor. When I got to the TPS I noticed where it plugs in at was loose. I tried like hell to remove the A25 bolts so I could check it out but I tried everyting but could not get them to budge. So I pushed the plug in real tight then wrapped it with heat tape & hoped for the best.
I put everything back together & took for another test drive. Everything was good this time around so problem solved or so I thought.
Prior to this test drive my Buddy had told me to make sure to try & keep gas guage above half a tank
So for next month or so all seemed good until just recently it started doing the same thing again. But this time it didn't want to start back up as easy. I would get it started then it would start to go & jerk and jump then stall. Start it again then it would die in drive. So when I popped the hood I could smell fuel but thought it was just from me trying to start it so many times. I took the parts off to get to the TPS again and retaped it. I got it started but as soon as the hood closed it stalled again.

I was frustrated & ran out of daylight so the next day I tried to start it again. It cranked but could tell battery was very low. Then the battery died. I didn't leave any lights on or anything so I couldn't figure out why the battery was all of sudden dead when it was just fine the night before?

I had a neighbor give me a jump & it cranked over but could really smell fuel so I knew it was not even safe to even try cranking it anymore.
When I took the parts off again to get to the throttle body I noticed that the bottom of the air intake was soaked with fuel.

Oh btw after the first time the symptons happened I took it to have it scanned and it came up as a misfire in Cylinder 3.

Sorry for the long message but this is where I am at now. I have done more research and from what I see it could be a clogged fuel injector, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, camshaft postion sensor, MAP sensor. coil pack, plugs & wires and many other things.

So I am hoping someone can maybe shed some light on where to start to narrow it down so I am not replacing a bunch of parts & still have the issues.
Thank you in advance for reading my long message and for any advice you are able to give is much appreciated!!
Old 11-04-2018, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

What are the exact codes?
Has the battery been load tested and cleared?
What is the fuel pressure in psi?