Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

heavy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default heavy wheels

does anyone know if there is some type of tool or leverage bar to help install the heavy tire/wheel onto the jeep by one person?iam getting too old and they are too heavy.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

alls you can really do is muscle the tire around until it slides on sorry
Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default leverage

I sometimes find myself using my foot and pushing up from under the tire to help hold the weight while I move it around with my hands to line up the studs. You could probably use a bar or even a steel shovel to get under the tire and put a board or something on the ground between you and the tire to make the bar act as a lever so you could step on the bar to make the tire go up, then maneuver it with your hands? maybe? I've never thought too much about it (in my 30s and only have 32"ers), but always figured that's what I'd try should they get bigger and/or too heavy for my skinny-@55 arms and half-destroyed shoulders.

Or maybe just toss a block of wood on the ground that's the right thickness to hold your wheel up in line with the studs to hold the weight while you line it up?

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Place your toes under the tire while your foot is flat get it in position, rotate the tire so the studs will line up. Lift with your foot to raise the tire to the height you need and then press on with your knee and it'll slide right on.

Thats all assuming you're using a floor jack and your tire/wheel combo isn't 100lbs a tire.

I always say, every inch you lifted the tire up off the ground is wasted energy. All you need is to get the vehicle weight off the tire so you can just spin the tire. Dont worry about having it 3 feet off the ground, pointless effort.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Sit on the ground with tire in front of you and one leg on either side of tire/wheel extended under vehicle(make sure vehicle is secure and not going to fall on your legs first). Use ur legs as leverage by keeping your feet on the ground and your inner thighs against tire raising or lowering tire as needed. Kind of hard to explain but you'll figure it out once you get in the right position. I've installed 35's like this with no problems and precision control.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
Place your toes under the tire while your foot is flat get it in position, rotate the tire so the studs will line up. Lift with your foot to raise the tire to the height you need and then press on with your knee and it'll slide right on.

Thats all assuming you're using a floor jack and your tire/wheel combo isn't 100lbs a tire.

I always say, every inch you lifted the tire up off the ground is wasted energy. All you need is to get the vehicle weight off the tire so you can just spin the tire. Dont worry about having it 3 feet off the ground, pointless effort.
i think that the tire either has to be an 1" off the ground or 5' it always seemed easier to put on at 5' when i was in the shop, just a good angle i guess,

but i generally use the foot method when i don't have a lift seems to work the best, though the sitting method isn't to bad i've done that before when i messed up my back
Old 07-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

use a short D handled shovel. roll the tire in place and stick the tip of the shovel under it, step on handle tire goes up. Will get you about 4-5 inches of lift. Don't ask how I know how to do this! Getting old sucks !!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by mike mike
use a short D handled shovel. roll the tire in place and stick the tip of the shovel under it, step on handle tire goes up. Will get you about 4-5 inches of lift. Don't ask how I know how to do this! Getting old sucks !!!!!!!!!!
That works great, another way if the tire and wheel isn't too big is to stick two of the sockets of a four way lug wrench under the sides of the tire and use it to lever the wheel into place.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 AM

thanks for the info but i was talking about working in a shop and doing this several times a day.i searched on the web and i think i found what i was about to invent, its a wheeled and roller device with a long lever to lift and install. about 50 dollars. thanks again.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Old 07-16-2011, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by mike mike
This^^ I keep a little folding Camp shovel, in both the car and the Jeep. For the wife to use if she needs to change a tire.