Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Heater Problem

Hello all, Im new here. Just joined the jeep community last week when I purchased my 99 XJ. Now that its getting colder here in western NY I realized I dont have the greatest heating capablities. I get luke warm air at best through the grates, seems to do alittle better heat wise when i put defroster on but that may just be my imagination. I felt the heater lines and the one coming out of the engine was hot and the other line wasnt cold but it wasnt hot, again luke warm at best. Is this a good indication of a clogged heater core? are there any easy tests or anything to try? I picked up my hanes manul last night and it seems the heating system is little more than a heater core and doors. (guy I bought it from claimed there was a regulator and thats probably all it was. But if the hanes manul is correct if the return line isnt hot then the core is probably blocked. Any help would be apprecieated. Im gonna dive into it this weekend and my friend and neighbor is a mechanic by trade (im one by hobby, engineering student at the moment) so we should be able to find it but I just wanted to ask if this was a common problem or if anyone had an easy fix cause I know heater cores on just about any car is no 20 min job.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

I used one of these rubber thingys attached to a garden hose to flush the heater core. Detach both heater hoses........one at water pump and one at the t-stat housing. Flush both directions.
Attached Thumbnails Heater Problem-002.jpg