Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Heater Issue

Hi guys. I recently replaced my Wifes radiator. While I was at it, I replaced both the upper and lower radiator hoses. Everything went fine up until I kicked the heat on. I noticed that when I move the temp controller to the upper registers or just the lower, I really only get heat out of the defrost. It is pretty hot and the temp is pegged at 210. It almost sounds like there's allot of pressure behind the dash just nothing rushing out. I haven't taken it out for a road test, only let it warm up twice.

Air pocket in the system? It almost reminds me of an older car that i had where there was a blender door problem. Ideas?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Air only from the defrost...that's the default setting. Would be different issue if you had no heat at all.
Blend door is servo controlled in the '00-'01, IIRC. Should not be related to your radiator/hose change. Was the heat working fine before you did the work?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Roler
Air only from the defrost...that's the default setting. Would be different issue if you had no heat at all.
Blend door is servo controlled in the '00-'01, IIRC. Should not be related to your radiator/hose change. Was the heat working fine before you did the work?
Good call. BTW it is a 2000. She said that there was a problem before where it didn't seem to be very warm. It looks like replacing the radiator might have nipped that(regardless it was cracked). Any thoughts? I'm going to take it out today to ser how it does on the road. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:16 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

You said "I really only get heat out of the defrost".. do you mean changing the vent selector to say, dash or floor, air still only comes out the defrost vent? If it only blows air thru the defrost vent, that could be a vacuum leak. When there's no vacuum or a weak vacuum, the system defaults to defrost.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by kjc
You said "I really only get heat out of the defrost".. do you mean changing the vent selector to say, dash or floor, air still only comes out the defrost vent? If it only blows air thru the defrost vent, that could be a vacuum leak. When there's no vacuum or a weak vacuum, the system defaults to defrost.
Any idea where to start with a vacuum leak? Interior, engine compartment?

With the selector set to panel, floor, or the other two settings (Heater Side) it only really blows out of the defroster. Her Jeep has always kicked butt when it came to output. To me it sounds like there's allot of "pressure" behind the dash but nothing really coming out. I'm used to dealing with a bad blender door but haven't dealt with anything like this. Ideas?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CherokeeJeeper
Any idea where to start with a vacuum leak? Interior, engine compartment?

With the selector set to panel, floor, or the other two settings (Heater Side) it only really blows out of the defroster. Her Jeep has always kicked butt when it came to output. To me it sounds like there's allot of "pressure" behind the dash but nothing really coming out. I'm used to dealing with a bad blender door but haven't dealt with anything like this. Ideas?
Start at the vacuum ball. It's located under the front bumper on the passenger side. Check the ball for ant loose hoses also check the ball itself for any cracks. Then fallow the hoses all the way to the firewall. Those are the most common areas for the leaks.