Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater Control Valve, JUNK !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, In Line 6
Default Heater Control Valve, JUNK !!

1994 Cherokee, 4.0 L

Another Heater control valve crumbles and breaks. Its plastic. The plastic gets brittle and breaks. So brittle that I as an emergency, cut off one of the hose inlet tubes off the valve and bypassed the heater. Got some great help from the roaming security at the mall across from South Coast plaza, near Best Buy. Shout out for his help. Borrowed a screwdriver, he got water for my radiator. Can't thank him enough.
Now Go 2 miles, ^%$*&( that cut tube split, crumbled and broke. Pulled over. Cut off the remaining tube on the broken heater control valve, bypassed heater again. Begged for water at gas station. Drove to Home Depot, bought a brass 5/8 tube to tube connector. Put it in at work.

Bought another ^**(&&*)&*) plastic heater valve because can't find a metal one. Anyone know where to get one. Any other model Jeep have a metal one I can put in? This is the 3rd one I will have to put in. Seems the plastic ones, and wrong cheap *** plastic used, lasts about 3 years?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Just delete it.

See http://cruiser54.com
Old 05-09-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

No need to have it. its usually one of the first things to be removed by any experienced XJ... as mentioned review the thread but there really isn't an advantage to having it since the temperature is still blended via a door in the climate box.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Delete it. You can get some barbed connectors to take the place of it and reuse your hoses, OR you can just go get some '97-'01 heater hoses and put them in place of your old ones. That stupid HCV was a holdover from the AMC design. Chrysler deleted it in 1997, and the '97+ heater hoses will fit right in there without the HCV. Don't forget to cap off the vacuum line.

It has been said here that for some odd reason the 2.5L XJs had metal HCVs. Could it work as a replacement? If you inexplicably want to have an HCV in your vehicle, it might be worth looking for.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Get rid of it. Get yourself down to the auto parts store and by 5 feet of 5/8" heater hose, and 5 feet of 3/4" of heater hose, and some clamps. Replace both hoses.

Cheap. Easy. Done.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L, In Line 6

Ok. Convinced me. Just complete the loop. Looks like just a connect to connect hoses. I haven't checked yet but thought enough hose to connect using couplings. Switch out the brass coupling for SS or steel. I think brass corrodes badly?? No big deal to replace hose. It is a pita to have this HCV keep breaking, I'll return the valve. Thanks

Last edited by jmrec100; 05-10-2017 at 12:13 AM.