Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

heater control panel swap out ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default heater control panel swap out ?

i have a 1996 cherokee with the base model heater control panel, the one with the sliding pins. the fan speed selector switch crapped out on me, im looking for a new panel and found this one with ***** on ebay, should they be interchangeable bolt in without changing anything or do i need to find the original style one?

here is the one with the *****

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3305134...=263602_304662

this is the style i have
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-Je...0#ht_682wt_941

thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

No, I do not think they work. I base my opinion on having pulled both styles from Junk Yard vehicle to research the same question. THe connections off the back are different. I wish I had taken pics while in the Junk Yard.

All you need to do is replace the SWITCH on your controller, it can be ordered online. When you pull off the old switch I can guarantee you that every terminal lug on the switch will be loose where it is riveted to the switch, this is where the problem is. I guess over time that happens.

Also consider changing your Fan, and resistor as well.

There are a lot of threads on this topic, I started one and found others.

Both of my XJ's are getting new fans, switches, and resistors to bring that circuit back to 'like new' condition.

EDIT: There is a danger in trying to change out the entire controller - there is cable on the back that connects to the TEMP controller slider. When you go to remove that, you risk breaking the tab that mounts it to the controller if you do not know how to remove it. I broke on in the JUNK YARD trying to remove one for the first time. Junk Yards are great places to practice and learn stuff like that.

Last edited by KD3NE; 02-16-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:42 PM

Default How Do O remove entire panel without breaking tab?

Hello, I know this is an old post I am replying to....However.....
I am trying to replace this entire panel, and have come to the point where this poster mentioned I can break the tab if I do not remove it properly.

I may not even have needed the entire panel- My air was going on and off randomly and I bought the entire panel-- hoping it is not the resistor, but perhaps the switch.

Can anyone give me a clue how to remove this part without breaking it?

TYVM

PS- I am working on this right now, if anyone has any suggestions!

QUOTE:EDIT: There is a danger in trying to change out the entire controller - there is cable on the back that connects to the TEMP controller slider. When you go to remove that, you risk breaking the tab that mounts it to the controller if you do not know how to remove it. I broke on in the JUNK YARD trying to remove one for the first time. Junk Yards are great places to practice and learn stuff like that.

Last edited by tombrader; 04-22-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Spelling edit