Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headliner info?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Headliner info?

I know several of yall have done your headliner. My question is what yall used to glue it and what material? What are the dimensions of the headliner?

Stryker I have seen your and Tess's write-up in yall's build.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I-6

i was just fixin to write a thread like this.. lol
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Hey Finney..

3M headliner material is great if you can find it.. although i think the Permatex brand is the same. Both have worked great for me several times.

On the fabric you can google and buy a kit form, or hit a store like JoAnn's Fabric and buy the sponge backed material. IIRC a kit will run around $100 vs buying seperately around $50-60.

I knew i wanted the camo material and searched ebay, found a non foam backed material i liked and ordered it. I just made sure the glue wasnt too "wet" when i laid down the material to avoid bleeding through. You saw the pics, came out well.

I dont remember the measurments offhand, i can check tomorrow for ya if someone doesnt post them beforehand.

And take lots of pics for a writeup, this comes up alot.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

not trying to hijack here, but can you just cover up the stock headliner, and do you have to use a specific kind of fabric??
Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

its super easy to do. material is optional, we just went with a little bit thicker camo. we used 3M HEADLINER glue. its actually called that and can be bought at wally world in the auto section. depending on weather or not you have rear speakers and the ceiling council, we bought 3 1'2 yards of material because we had all of that. you will have left overs but just to be safe. the glue has held up amazing even with humidity. dont be shy on the spraying. heres how it turned out.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

You can use any fabric you want. They make special headliner material that has light foam backing. You can get the headliner spray adhesive at walmart. It's real easy to do. If you get material without the foam backing you can get some thing foam and put it on as well. Just remove the headline use a copper wire brush to remove the old left over foam and glue from the headliner board and put the new in. Easy to do.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeWI
its super easy to do. material is optional, we just went with a little bit thicker camo. we used 3M HEADLINER glue. its actually called that and can be bought at wally world in the auto section. depending on weather or not you have rear speakers and the ceiling council, we bought 3 1'2 yards of material because we had all of that. you will have left overs but just to be safe. the glue has held up amazing even with humidity. dont be shy on the spraying. heres how it turned out.

Did you get your fabric from wally world and if so did you yall have to sew any?
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by taythegibs
not trying to hijack here, but can you just cover up the stock headliner, and do you have to use a specific kind of fabric??
stock headliner material? i wouldnt. its bound to sag if it isnt already. might as well start fresh if you are going to do it.
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Jake, that looks killer. Good job. Heres mine if you havent seen it.

And Finney... if you plan on doing the sunvisors too see about picking one up so you can learn how NOT to open it up. They tend to break easily if your not carefull.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by finneys98xj
Did you get your fabric from wally world and if so did you yall have to sew any?
yeah actually we found that camo at wally world to. we did not have to sew. just folded it over the corners tight, and made sure to let the glue get tacky so it will hold. you might have to make relief cuts around the corners. all of this you will find out once you start doing it.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Jake, that looks killer. Good job. Heres mine if you havent seen it.

yeah i looked at your whole build. awesome
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeWI
yeah actually we found that camo at wally world to. we did not have to sew. just folded it over the corners tight, and made sure to let the glue get tacky so it will hold. you might have to make relief cuts around the corners. all of this you will find out once you start doing it.
thank you my main consern was that it would need so sewwing done. I can't sew and none in my family still living can.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

i really want to do a realtree headliner, ive been going with it since i got realtree seat covers, when i get the money im doing a 2in stripe of it on the sides of my xj.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:37 PM

Hey not trying to thread jack but are those sound bars stock? If so or if not where can i get one...?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: I-6

as far as i know they are stock.. i have one..? and have you guys that have done that had any past experience doing it? is it just that easy doing it for the first time? What about around the lights, and/or sun visers? Some VERY SPECIFIC info would be appreciated

Quick Reply: Headliner info?