Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlights Quit Working!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O I6
Exclamation Headlights Quit Working!

Case - Non working headlights in 1991 Cherokee Laredo.

So I'll try to make a long story short here. About a month ago, my headlights quit working. When I pulled the ****, the posers would come on but no headlights. However, I was able to get brights if i held the stick on the column.

On a side note, I had broken some needles in my gauge cluster quite a while ago. So I went to my local JY and bought a cluster out of a 92.

Anyways, after I installed the new gauge cluster, they worked again, until last night. (So roughly 3 weeks of normal operation.) I pulled the **** last night and the posers came on; but again no headlights. Only this time, the brights wouldn't come on, even with the stick held.

I'm at a loss of what to do...is it the switch itself? I checked fuses, (on both the inside fusebox and the one located under the hood.) from what I can tell they appear to be fine. Any help is appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!

Last edited by 91Laredo; 06-20-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Adding information.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

My guess would be the headlight switch is bad.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by GreenClassic
My guess would be the headlight switch is bad.
Thanks man, got one ordered; will be here Wed. Not sure if this will fix the issue, but at the very least, hopefully its preventative maintenance.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 AM

Year: 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

imo...it's the turn signal/hi beam switch...my headlights did the same....swapped out three headlight switches, no change....found schematic of electrical and bypassed hi/lo beam on switch stalk....all good, but failed inspection cause hi beam lever had to be held to keep hi beams on and lo beams stayed on too...so, ordered new turn signal/hi beam switch (needs security torx bit), reversed my bypass, and passed inspection....all is good!....new oem turn signal switch is ~$60 shipped online or find it used on ebay, but no guarantees it won't go bad too!

Last edited by kbad; 06-21-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kbad
imo...it's the turn signal/hi beam switch...my headlights did the same....swapped out three headlight switches, no change....found schematic of electrical and bypassed hi/lo beam on switch stalk....all good, but failed inspection cause hi beam lever had to be held to keep hi beams on and lo beams stayed on too...so, ordered new turn signal/hi beam switch (needs security torx bit), reversed my bypass, and passed inspection....all is good!
alright man thanks for the input! glad to hear your situation is figured out! I'll definitely start looking into that as well. It sounds slightly more expensive than my 15 dollar headlight switch. But if that's what it takes, then its all good. Thanks for mentioning that, I didn't think to check there lol.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

i would try the dimmer switch that same thing happened to me... in the woods. it was midnight and i had no headlights haha. that was interesting getting out. but yeah the dimmer switch is a quick and cheap change. i got mine from the JY