Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Headlights not working

When turning on the headlights the marker lights come on but not the headlights.

I can turn the highbeams on if I hold the lever but as soon as I release it the lights go off completely they do not stay on just by pressing it once and the low beams are still not on.

Also last night I smelt something that smelled like something electronic melting, today I drove atleast 20 miles and did not smell a thing with the lights off but tonight the smell came back and the lights worked fine until I stopped and turned them off, after I came back out and the lights would not come back on.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Z71Gladiator; 06-18-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

check your switch and check the sockets for your headlights. i had the same problem
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Checked switch already and I know I probably already have a bad switch because one of the contacts has a little burn mark around the base of it but I have gone out and tried two new switches that dont work.

On my old switch in the headlight on position it will have the marker lights on but no headlights.

On both of the new switches when I switch to the headlight on position the headlights come on but no marker lights. I cant even get the marker lights to come on in the marker light on position on the switch. If I am careful I can get the marker lights to come on the new switch if I pull the switch and stop just before getting to the marker light position but cant have the marker lights and the headlights on at the same time unless I hold the high beam switch.

I dont need to test the headlights or sockets because I can get the lights to come on with one of the switches.

The two new switches that I tried are from different parts stores.

Anything else I should be looking at?