Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

headlight problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 AM
kps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default headlight problem.

question, is it the headlight switch? or my dimmer? vehicle a 96 2dr 5sp 4cylinder if any of that is needed

when I bought it, I knew lights seemed a little dim on low, so I know a headlight wiring upgrade will be in my future.

well I havent been driving it much unless I knew I work a day shift, as the first time I drove it at night I had no low beams, it was "fun" driving home with only high beams, nearly 30 miles. rednecks just cut theirs on high & leave them on back at you, & more than 20 people did that to me, including 1 cop.

the low & fog are wired together, there isnt a seperate switch for the fog lights, I plan to install a seperate switch so I can cut them on, but still only allow to work while on low.

anyway my day off when it finally wasnt raining I decided to check headlights & I pull one to check for power, & I checked lights & still had no low beams, before I pulled 1 light, I made sure they were not working on low, well after light was removed, & I found power to hot, & checked for low, they came on, as soon as I put light back in, it didnt work for maybe 10 seconds, & then it came on, & now they work everytime I cut them on, all 4 beams, the 2 fog & both low beams.

I dont want to drive it at night & find myself driving home only with hibeams again, but I dont want to replace parts un-necessarily, & budget isnt in that kind of shape either.

I had asked previous owner about, as it was a 1 owner, & she had headlight switch replaced last year, almost a year ago April I think, so I dont want to replace the wrong part, but it is hard to diagnose a part when it is working correctly, at least for the moment, & last thing I want is for them to go off on a mountain road in a curve, & thats where I live in the mountains.

which switch is the most common problem? headlight switch, or dimmer switch? or is it another possibility?

Thank you,
Randy
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"anyway my day off when it finally wasnt raining I decided to check headlights & I pull one to check for power, & I checked lights & still had no low beams, before I pulled 1 light, I made sure they were not working on low, well after light was removed, & I found power to hot, & checked for low, they came on, as soon as I put light back in, it didnt work for maybe 10 seconds, & then it came on, & now they work everytime I cut them on, all 4 beams, the 2 fog & both low beams."

Check the usual:
Grounds (use a schematic)
Connectors
etc.