Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

head removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default head removal

Have any of you pulled the head with int/exh still attached? Wondering if it would be easier that way, thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

Sounds rough.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by trakr
Have any of you pulled the head with int/exh still attached? Wondering if it would be easier that way, thanks
I think it is, but I'm a big guy and haven't very much trouble handling an awkward heavy thing like that. Figure it's a shade over two feet long, and the entire assembly is up around 100#.

However, it's far easier than trying to reach the bottom rear manifold screws - if you can handle the lift. If you have an engine crane, you can use the forward aircon bracket screw hole and put a longer screw in the upper rear manifold screw holes to attach the hoist chain. Service the manifold seal on the bench, and just leave out that upper rear screw. Replace it once the head is in place.

See my posts elsewhere on making and using alignment pins to keep from scuffing out the head gasket on installation. Also, note that the rearmost driver's side screw will be difficult to service with the head in place - remove all screws but leave that one in when you remove the head, drop that one in the hole before you put the head in place, and it will be loads easier for you!

It does help, if you don't have a hoist, if you're a big guy with lots of reach - for me, I'm 6'3", 275#, and wear a 36" sleeve (and a 50L jacket.) I've often been compared to a gorilla...
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 AM

Year: 1998

i did when i did my headgasket, i used a motor hoist to pull the head off. much easier imo to pull it all off together to save time and save money on gaskets.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

I just pulled my 4.0L head this past weekend. The only thing I used was regular hand tools and I used an assortment of extensions and I had to use a universal joint type thingy mabob for one of the bolts (dunno exactly what they are called, universal joint, swivel attachment).
All the other bolts weren't a problem with strait sockets and extensions.

Don't underestimate the 1/4" ratchets and sockets.They do take a bit more strength on these types of projects but they are small enough to get into tight places.

I didn't have to use any air tools or engine hoists, just regular hand tools and a bit of patience. In total it took me maybe 3 or 4 hours of work to get everything apart and off of my jeep.

If you are going through all the work of changing the HG then why not take the intake off and clean it up while you are at it.

I have been thinking though that it might be easier to install the intake and exhaust manifolds before installing the head,that way I can get the proper torque on the bolts.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 AM

Year: 2000

Im actually replacing the head, Ive read the lower int/exh bolts are a bear to get to, thats the reason Im asking if anyone has removed it as a unit rather than individually, just trying to avoid a few cuss words and busted knuckles
Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by trakr
Im actually replacing the head, Ive read the lower int/exh bolts are a bear to get to, thats the reason Im asking if anyone has removed it as a unit rather than individually, just trying to avoid a few cuss words and busted knuckles
Precisely. It is far easier to service the manifold gasket on the bench than on the vehicle!