Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Head

So I have the dreaded 0331 head and I am not comfortable leaving it in the Jeep. I don't have a ton of money to blow on a brand new Clearwater, ProMaxx, Edelbrock, etc. So I was wandering if I pulled a 0331 TUPY out of an 02-06 WJ at the junkyard and swapped the head and all the necessary gaskets if I would be in the clear?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Matt Krumwiede
So I have the dreaded 0331 head and I am not comfortable leaving it in the Jeep. I don't have a ton of money to blow on a brand new Clearwater, ProMaxx, Edelbrock, etc. So I was wandering if I pulled a 0331 TUPY out of an 02-06 WJ at the junkyard and swapped the head and all the necessary gaskets if I would be in the clear?
If the head can be relied upon to be in good shape. Thinking only up to '04 not '06. Couple things to keep in mind. You have to find one and the boneyard will have to be willing to sell it off the motor. Good chance they will not want to separate them. I own a '00 and while I don't appear to have any problems I came across a TUPY '04 motor that was shot on Craigslist for $50. Would have grabbed the whole motor but the short block is of no use to me because I believe them to have different mounting points for alts, pulleys, etc. So I offered the guy $50 just for the head. He agreed. Now I could own a $50 door stop or not. Since they are not the easiest items to come across grabbed it.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
If the head can be relied upon to be in good shape. Thinking only up to '04 not '06. Couple things to keep in mind. You have to find one and the boneyard will have to be willing to sell it off the motor. Good chance they will not want to separate them. I own a '00 and while I don't appear to have any problems I came across a TUPY '04 motor that was shot on Craigslist for $50. Would have grabbed the whole motor but the short block is of no use to me because I believe them to have different mounting points for alts, pulleys, etc. So I offered the guy $50 just for the head. He agreed. Now I could own a $50 door stop or not. Since they are not the easiest items to come across grabbed it.
So as long as I can get them to separate the head from the motor and it's in good condition I should be good, correct?
Old 09-18-2017, 03:28 PM

Also would Felpro head bolts be a good choice?