Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

have a question for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default have a question for you guys

I have a 95 kj country 2wd. my rear end is going bad and i was wondering what kind to put back in it. Do i have to go back with a 2dw or will a 4wd one work? Will one from a grand cherokee work? I'm lost so I need help.....
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by claycoboi
I have a 95 kj country 2wd. my rear end is going bad and i was wondering what kind to put back in it. Do i have to go back with a 2dw or will a 4wd one work? Will one from a grand cherokee work? I'm lost so I need help.....
Hi, you can put just about anything you want in it but may have to do some mods on the leaf spring perches. You can also put a chrysler 8.25 in there if you want to do some wheeling and also add a locker. Its probably got a Dana 35 in there now. What is wrong with it? ...Tj
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

95 KJ Country?? Do you mean a 95 XJ Country? If so, then the rear axle does not matter if it is from a 2 or 4 wheel drive. It needs to be the same gear ratio that you currently have.

And if you do have a regular Cherokee then a Grand Cherokee rear axle will not work without some extensive modifcations and a wad of cash. The Cherokee has a leaf spring rear suspension and the Grand has a coil spring rear suspension.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by winston427
95 KJ Country?? Do you mean a 95 XJ Country? If so, then the rear axle does not matter if it is from a 2 or 4 wheel drive. It needs to be the same gear ratio that you currently have.

And if you do have a regular Cherokee then a Grand Cherokee rear axle will not work without some extensive modifcations and a wad of cash. The Cherokee has a leaf spring rear suspension and the Grand has a coil spring rear suspension.

yea meant xj (lol). thanks for the info i was clueless. But I am getting alot of vibration from the rear end but i is only doing it when i am on the gas. I can get up speed and it shakes and vibrates the whole time. but if I let of the gas it smooths out. I lifted the rear end and moved the tires back and forth and seen alot of play in my u joints and coming from the yoke in the rear end. A mechanic was the one that told me my rear end is going bad.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

What kind of noises is the rear end making? No noise most likely NOT the rear end, ie differential. Is it leaking at the yoke? Sounds more like bad U-joints, in the drive shaft, cheap to fix. Could also be axel bearings or out of balance tires, agian cheap to fix. Your Rend may not be bad, just in need of maintenance.

As far as sway, depends on the amount of work and cost you want. Would say almost anything that is SOA and the right width will work. With 2wd gearing isn't as much a concern, except for performance and milage reasons.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM
"CF Moderator"

Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by claycoboi
yea meant xj (lol). thanks for the info i was clueless. But I am getting alot of vibration from the rear end but i is only doing it when i am on the gas. I can get up speed and it shakes and vibrates the whole time. but if I let of the gas it smooths out. I lifted the rear end and moved the tires back and forth and seen alot of play in my u joints and coming from the yoke in the rear end. A mechanic was the one that told me my rear end is going bad.
Get Another Mechanic to look at it. You may only have a bad U joint. Having play doesn't necessarily mean the whole rear is bad...Tj
Old 02-26-2010, 10:16 AM

i said that i was gonna try the u joints first before i did any replacing of the rearend.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM

The only thing that puzzles me is that I figured that if my U joints were bad that I would be getting the vibration the whole time that I am driving, not just when I am on the gas? idk
Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM

bump