Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

has anyone cut out the front door speaker mount area out to accommodate 6x9s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default has anyone cut out the front door speaker mount area out to accommodate 6x9s?

pretty straight forward question. i have some 6x9s that area laying around and my front speakers are going to crap. if its been done how hard was it to do? i have seen the indent where the speaker would run and know how i would get around that i just want to know if the actual speaker would hit anything in the door. thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

I'm actually planning on doing this within the next month or so, but what I'm doing is cutting out some MDF "spacers" and mounting the speakers to that, the speakers will be outside of the door panel, that way there would be no way for any of the speaker to mess with anything on the inside of the door. The magnet is about the same size of the speaker that is oem, so there shouldn't be any fabrication needed.

I've done this a few times in different vehicles and it's always worked for me, just make sure you have grilles for the speakers, it'll look better, and protect them from being kicked.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 liter h.o.

yes, i did it. i just cut it out rough and used zipties to hold the speakers in. i will get a pic tomorrow if i can remember. mine doesnt hit anything
Old 08-24-2010, 01:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5l 4 cyl
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 91xj
yes, i did it. i just cut it out rough and used zipties to hold the speakers in. i will get a pic tomorrow if i can remember. mine doesnt hit anything
i did about the same thing... heres a pic Name:  sony d side.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  90.4 KB thats the only pic iv got..
Old 08-24-2010, 05:19 AM

Year: 1988

Originally Posted by Juggernaut863
I'm actually planning on doing this within the next month or so, but what I'm doing is cutting out some MDF "spacers" and mounting the speakers to that, the speakers will be outside of the door panel, that way there would be no way for any of the speaker to mess with anything on the inside of the door. The magnet is about the same size of the speaker that is oem, so there shouldn't be any fabrication needed.

I've done this a few times in different vehicles and it's always worked for me, just make sure you have grilles for the speakers, it'll look better, and protect them from being kicked.
hahaha the funny thing is about 5 min after i posted this i started looking at my panel and thought im making some damn door pods... haha well what sucks about having ideas at 1am is not being able to use power tools.. i also didnt have any mdf but i had some 1/4" plywood... and thats what im using to make them... well that and fiberglass.. pretty excited for these actually... i will have pics tomoro of them in rough finished shape.. than eventually of them painted..
Old 08-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Year: 1995

i had 6x9s in my jeep but it was done with crappy and i put 6in kickers in and they didnt want to fit..thinking on mountin the 6x9s in the rear doors
Old 08-25-2010, 12:51 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by Russian
hahaha the funny thing is about 5 min after i posted this i started looking at my panel and thought im making some damn door pods... haha well what sucks about having ideas at 1am is not being able to use power tools.. i also didnt have any mdf but i had some 1/4" plywood... and thats what im using to make them... well that and fiberglass.. pretty excited for these actually... i will have pics tomoro of them in rough finished shape.. than eventually of them painted..

cool man, can't wait to see it.

I can fabricate damn near everything, but I've never used fiberglass, I might have to get around to trying it out one of these days.

and MDF is cheaper than plywood now, which is odd, I was at home depot last week and bought a whole sheet of MDF for 25 bucks, the plywood next to it was 45... But what you got laying around is what you got laying around..