Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Has anybody installed brighter headlight wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Has anybody installed brighter headlight wiring harness?

My 96 4.0 5 speed Cherokee has dim headlights just like every other Cherokee out there and while browsing the forum, a headlight wiring harness was recommended to brighten them up. Has anybody used this kit http://www.eautoworks.com/product-eA...com-189849.htm ? Is any cutting required or is it plug-n-play? And obviously does it work good and is it worth the money. Some comparative pictures would be great if anybody has them. Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

look into rocky road outfiters they offer the conversion kit and offer higher watt lights as well. you can get the "race" lights and they are 160-190watt i believe something crazy like that. and its a fair frice as well
Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Check out my write up in the tech section for XJ. There is a harness out there for $18 last I checked (I paid $40 for mine) and you will need housings and bulbs....it's really easy to do and super results!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

OP, did you ever do anything w/this? I'm thinking of ordering the stuff today.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Year: 1992 & 1995

I just finished making up a new heavy duty wire harness using FitchVA's jeep page for the headlights and fog lights, pretty easy and the results are amazing. Stock headlights are so much brighter with no voltage drop. There is also a how to on Daniel Stern's lighting page. I didn't want to buy one of those pre-made harness's cause I couldn't tell what gauge of wire they had used. I wanted 12 gauge for pos. and neg. with full length wires going back to the battery terminals.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 PM

Year: 1999

just get some silverstars, they make a huge difference! and if that isnt enough go on ebay and pick up some HID's they are amazing!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by djlarroc
OP, did you ever do anything w/this? I'm thinking of ordering the stuff today.
I was about to when a whole bunch of other problems popped up. I lost spark and traced it back to the CPS, so I changed it out, but it turns out that it blew out the ignition coil and pick-up coil. Pretty much, I ran out of funds after replacing all those parts. I did in fact get a pair of Walmart Baja lights and wire them up though. They work great for everyday driving and are legal at 55 watts. Maybe someday I'll do the upgrade. Sorry I couldn't help you out.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 87m6chris
I just finished making up a new heavy duty wire harness using FitchVA's jeep page for the headlights and fog lights, pretty easy and the results are amazing. Stock headlights are so much brighter with no voltage drop. There is also a how to on Daniel Stern's lighting page. I didn't want to buy one of those pre-made harness's cause I couldn't tell what gauge of wire they had used. I wanted 12 gauge for pos. and neg. with full length wires going back to the battery terminals.
Do you have that link for Fitch? I clicked on the one from NAXJA, but I couldn't find the writeup.

Originally Posted by bossxj
just get some silverstars, they make a huge difference! and if that isnt enough go on ebay and pick up some HID's they are amazing!
They will still be using the stock harness which is puny, at best.

Originally Posted by 96Cherokee113
I was about to when a whole bunch of other problems popped up. I lost spark and traced it back to the CPS, so I changed it out, but it turns out that it blew out the ignition coil and pick-up coil. Pretty much, I ran out of funds after replacing all those parts. I did in fact get a pair of Walmart Baja lights and wire them up though. They work great for everyday driving and are legal at 55 watts. Maybe someday I'll do the upgrade. Sorry I couldn't help you out.
No problem. Just curious. I will probably order mine tomorrow. Soon as I decide to either make the harness or pay $30 for it.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by bsljacques
Check out my write up in the tech section for XJ. There is a harness out there for $18 last I checked (I paid $40 for mine) and you will need housings and bulbs....it's really easy to do and super results!
x2. The one in said write up is great! Plug and play, just installed it the other day....
Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

I have 90/100W bulbs,Conversion housings...and a upgarded Harness...and it is a Joke.
My chevy 2500 with HIDs makes my jeep look like it has Mag lites.....Bottom line skip the harness and get some HID's and be done with it.......just ordered a set for the jeep yesterday...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
I have 90/100W bulbs,Conversion housings...and a upgarded Harness...and it is a Joke.
My chevy 2500 with HIDs makes my jeep look like it has Mag lites.....Bottom line skip the harness and get some HID's and be done with it.......just ordered a set for the jeep yesterday...
Where and how much? There is a 30 something page thread on naxja praising the H4 conversion w/harness. Said no better bang for the buck. I have HIDs on my Bimmer, but I won't shell big bucks on it for the xj.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
You can't expect to run HIDs on the Jeep without upgrading the factory wiring.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 342 Likes on 232 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I have the EA harness and Autopal e-code h4 conversion and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by CommanderXJ
You can't expect to run HIDs on the Jeep without upgrading the factory wiring.
HID's dont take power from the factory harness. you plug one end into the spot the headlights normally go (just to get the signal) and you run a power and ground to the battery from each ballast. it took me like 20 minutes total to install.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bossxj
HID's dont take power from the factory harness. you plug one end into the spot the headlights normally go (just to get the signal) and you run a power and ground to the battery from each ballast. it took me like 20 minutes total to install.
That makes sense. I can see how HID would give a better output fromt the get-go then. Gotta do some more reading, but I may go HID if that's the case.

Quick Reply: Has anybody installed brighter headlight wiring harness?