Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Harmonic Balancer Comming Off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 - 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Harmonic Balancer Comming Off?

Hi All,

I noticed that my serp belt is looking a little ragged. One complete rib is missing. The wierd thing is that the belt is riding on the front of the auxilary pullies, AC, PS and on the rear of the balancer pulley. It looks from an allignment standpoint that the balancer has moved forward (or everything else back). The bolt on the balancer is tight. There is currently about a 1/4" of clearance between the balancer and the clutch fan.

How much clearance should there be between these two?

Is it possible for the balancer to be tight on the crank and still have the pulley move forward?

I'm a little concerned that it is going to come apart or meetup with the fan blades.

Thanks for the feedback,
David
Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8

Yes. The harmonic balancer is a two part design. The inner steel cup with the bolt hole, and the outer ring (that the belt rides upon) is separated by a rubber section. It is about 1/4" thick and will deteriorate over time.

Replacement is necessary and will cost $50 + if you DIY. Allocate an hour or so, as it is a tedious operation. You will need both sockets and wrenches.

I found that it was best to remove the air cleaner box first for clearance to access the power steering pump. It is only 3 15mm bolts, so no big deal.

Remove the crank bolt before you take off the serpentine belt.

Loosening the PSP was a bear as there are about 5 bolts that need to be loosened or removed to get the belt free.

Then you need a wheel puller. It is the funny looking kind that has a Peace Sign shape that you thread bolts into the front of the harmonic balancer. and then use the threaded center shaft to press against the crankshaft.

Due to clearance issues, you will need to tighten the center shaft with a wrench at first, then you can get a ratchet on it, which will speed up the removal process.

Have a rubber mallet to start the new HB on until you can get the retaining bolt started and torque it down.

Oh... be glad that you caught this in time and are not replacing your radiator as well.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

My balancer seperated today and as far as I can tell....it just the curb it hit. How was the job? Did you have any unforseen issues with replacing it. Do you have any tips?

Thank you
Old 06-17-2011, 12:44 AM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Rangermonroe is correct you need to replace your balancer and get anew belt. Also you should check/replace your front seal as this usually wears with your balancer. Also use a harmonic balancer installer, youncan usually rent one at a auto parts store. A little easier than a hammer, but not as satisfing.